Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Windshields and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamers-62
Mine comes up to maybe just under my nose when I am riding...can they be adjusted to sit higher ?
Maybe. Depends on the model and where it is on the brackets now. With a small shield, that may not help overall as it might let in more wind under the bottom. A strong wind UP in your face can be as bad as one directly in your face.

IIRC, the picture you posted, it doesn't look like your shield comes anywhere close to your nose level......unless you hunch over a LOT.

If you can post a couple more pics. of just the front of the bike from different angles, we might be able to give you some more meaningful opinions (not all necessarily the same, though). :cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
Jenny

I have one of the short windshields. It's below my head, and if I am crouched down, my eyes are on level with the top. I have found that it is incredibly helpful with the wind that is created by moving along the highway. It is also helpful at the wind from 18 wheelers passing me going in the opposite direction. However, windy days when the wind is coming at me from the sides, the windshield (obviously) does nothing because I'm being buffeted from the side.

One note - when I'm dealing with wind specifically from those large trucks that move the entire bike a foot to the right, the windshield only helps because I crouch down so that everything except my head is under the windshield :-)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
One note - when I'm dealing with wind specifically from those large trucks that move the entire bike a foot to the right, the windshield only helps because I crouch down so that everything except my head is under the windshield :-)
Well, you will never eliminate the blast from a passing truck completely but.........(hopefully without making another "horse" thread)......with a full size windshield, everything including your head is "under the windshield" all the time. The advantage you have noted with your little shield would be even GREATER with a larger one.

Anyone able to come to central Illinois is welcome to a (short) test ride......big shield and 16T.....two birds and all that. :biggrin:

Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

My windshield is laying under my piano. It'll be very useful if a stiff breeze starts blowing up from the carpet next time I'm playing. Comes up to just a hair under my ankles. (see add'l details under mods...)
Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Comes up to just a hair under my ankles.
Would that make it a toe shield ?? :crackup

Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #16
michaelp

Thanks so much for all this discussion. I have been riding a couple months and was worried because wind and speed unnerved me. I have noticed that in the beginning 40 felt "fast enough" and now "50" feels fast enough. Today, I looked down at the speedometer and had accidentally slipped up to 60 and it didn't seem too scary - at least for a few seconds. I've tried practicing, riding faster, using the feeder road next to the freeway (I'm in Houston, Texas - lots of fast cars and trucks). This has been slowly getting me used to higher speeds. I appreciate hearing from experienced riders that it will all get more comfortable with time. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
music man

That is sort of what I did, I tried to push myself outside my speed comfort zone by a couple of miles per hour every time I went for a ride, not for long just for a few seconds, and only a couple of MPH at a time, before long you are at the end of the GZ's rope.