Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
5th_bike

New member in MD

Hi guys and girls, I'm a proud 2005 GZ250 owner, and reborn rider in Maryland.
Mine only had 35 miles on it when I got it, unfortunately the previous owner dropped it during the driving exam resulting in 1 tiny dent and a few scratches, and gave up so the bike was just sitting there for almost two years.
After picking it up last week, change oil+filter, cleaned and waxed the chain, put some air in the tires - both 5 psi low, tightened a bolt here and there, fixed a little electrical problem (I will post that in the 'technical' or 'troubleshooting' forum) (thanks Dupo for posting the link to the technical manual), and got it through the state inspection.
And meanwhile it has almost 200 more miles on it ! It is being used for commuting to work and around town. No highway use intended, everyone drives 80 on I-95 here, and lane crossers and jumpers galore.
I got my license via the MSF class last May, test rode a beautiful and smooth Moto Guzzi Breva 750 (thanks Speedscycle in Elkridge - maybe next year) in June and when I saw this Suzuki for sale last month I just went for it. It's definitely big enough, considering my previous motorized two-wheeler experience during my youth approx. 35 years ago in The Netherlands (should be in my signature).
Ah well I could go on and on, but that's it for now. Keep those wheels down !

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: New member in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Hi guys and girls, I'm a proud 2005 GZ250 owner, and reborn rider in Maryland.
Mine only had 35 miles on it when I got it, unfortunately the previous owner dropped it during the driving exam resulting in 1 tiny dent and a few scratches, and gave up so the bike was just sitting there for almost two years.
Welcome to the "club".

Keep a close eye on the tires. If it was stored inside they should be OK. If they were exposed to direct sunlight for the 2 years, the sidewalls might be cracking. Tiny cracks are not a problem, especially for tires with tubes, but if sidewalls are cracking the tread might be getting hard too.

After reading a LOT of other's reports and doing a little "tinkering" myself, I have decided (for me) that performance mods are a waste of time. What you might gain is just not worth the trouble.
HOWEVER.......
If you feel that the engine is a little "buzzy" as you go through the gears AND you won't be on freeways except for short distances when absolutely necessary, then you are probably a good candidate for a 16 tooth front sprocket. A bunch of us love the improvement. I have yet to hear anybody who regrets making the change. The only downside is that most folks loose a little bit on the top end (~ 5mph).

P.S. You didn't mention anything about the fuel. It might be a good idea to put some carb cleaner in the next couple of tankfulls. After 2 years of storage, there is bound to be some varnish in the carb.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

5th bike.......welcome and congrats on the new ride. It is really too bad some one had the misfortune of owning your little beauty and not riding. Maybe a case of no training and a bad day with the examiner. Anyway, you seem to have cured the parked bike situation and will grow to appreciate the capabilities of this smaller bike.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
5th_bike

Thank you for the welcome, meanwhile the odometer reads almost 300.
And Easy Rider, thanks for the tips. The tires are fine as it was stored under a cover (got it with the bike). There is only some rust on both mirror bars, from two winters.
I'm aware of the 16-tooth mod but I plan to keep it stock for the first 1,000 miles at least.
It is buzzy, but the gearbox is really sweet, shifting to 3-4-5 without clutch is no problem, it doesn't even say 'clunk'. My top speed do far: 65 mph. Now I know why people put a windscreen on it.
Thanks for the carb cleaner tip, I'll do that even though it idles fine and has no probems accelerating, at 65 mph there is still power left. Back to the dealer, I'm lucky, it's only about 5 miles from my home.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
There is only some rust on both mirror bars, from two winters.
I'm aware of the 16-tooth mod but I plan to keep it stock for the first 1,000 miles at least.
It is buzzy, but the gearbox is really sweet, shifting to 3-4-5 without clutch is no problem, it doesn't even say 'clunk'. My top speed do far: 65 mph. Now I know why people put a windscreen on it.
Thanks for the carb cleaner tip, I'll do that even though it idles fine and has no probems accelerating, at 65 mph there is still power left. Back to the dealer, I'm lucky, it's only about 5 miles from my home.
Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on everything. Some comments:

What little rust you see will probably disappear with just some good cleaner/polish.

Good plan to keep it stock until it is broken in. I'd even say 2-3K miles.

Re: clutchless shifts. I used to do that on the shaft bikes I had; it was slick. Only tried it a few times on the GZ. Unless you are REALLY good with the throttle control, it does put a little extra strain on the chain. Probably doesn't hurt anything but it feels different enough from a shaft drive that I'm not comfortable doing it with the chain.

You do NOT have to get carb cleaner from the dealer. Visit any auto parts store or big box retailer. I like Gumout personally. Berryman's B12 has a similar formula. As a preventative, Seafoam or Techron should be good too. Just get something designated as carb cleaner; NOT injector cleaner. Skip over the instructions about dumping the can in a full gas tank and follow the oz. per gallon listed later on.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
5th_bike

Well thank you Easy Rider for the carb cleaner tip, again.

Re: clutchless shifts: so far I only did it during three or four 'acceleration events' on smooth asphalt, give the throttle a little jag and the shift lever a little pressure up at the same time, and presto it's into next gear. Sounds really cool. But usually I shift according to the book, because as soon as the clutchless shift is off-perfect it will result in unnecessary wear in the gearbox, and probably also the chain as you mentioned. FWIW my chain has little slack, around 6-7 mm.