Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
01gz250

New guy to the forum and to riding

Hello names Randy I'm 26 and just bought a 01 Suzuki GZ250 with 9500 miles for $800 love the way it looks only problem is when I'm riding it feels like the bike is chugging but it sounds fine the engine is running great just feels like I'm bouncing back and forth on chain lash but what do I know never owns a road bike before only dirt bikes any tips would be great Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
PimpS

Re: New guy to the forum and to riding

Welcome! I'm sure you'll get good tips and advices, but not from me, since i'm a newbie/squid like you. I eagerly wait for responses from the masters!
Good luck!

PimpS
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Gz Rider

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
alantf

Hi there.

Thing is - Suzuki decided to bugger up a great bike, by fitting one of the worst carbs they could find. I'd start out by adding carb cleaner to the tank for 3 or 4 tankfuls. That seems to clear up 90% of the GZ's woes. :2tup:
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
blaine

Welcome to the family.I'll second what Allan said.Some SeaFoam or Berrymans b-12 in a tank of fuel will do wonders for the carb.You can add about 3 oz's to a full tank of fuel.A lot of the time it takes a couple of days to see the full effect of the cleaner.
:cool:

Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
greatmaul

Hi! Welcome to the forum. That's a great buy!

I 2nd or 3rd the suggestion that you make sure to use the choke at first and fully warm the bike before starting, then turn off the choke. Also the seafoam or b12. Beyond that, you could check the chain slack, which is listed somewhere on the forum here, but I think it's 0.5 inches up or down at the midpoint of the chain.

Oh, also, have you taken the MSF basic rider course? It's an interesting and fun class and gives you good starter tips for on the road riding.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. On another note, you being a new rider, I'd recommend you take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). It's the best investment you can make in your own safety.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
01gz250

Thanks to every one ya when I bought it I let it run for 5-6 mins then road it home 20 miles in the cold and it chugs most when keeping a constant speed but when I start it up no chugging at all it sounds amazing Revs fine only during riding it does it pull in clutch at 40 mph and it stops chugging right away as soon as I let the clutch out it starts now I dont hear a engine miss just feel it so I'm goig to try the seafoam thing and change the oil and adjust the chain are there any carb upgrades I find the bike has a hard time keeping me at 55 in 5th but in 4th no problem hmm Idk I'm going to look the bike over well and see and thanks for the class tips took them already with my dads bike he made me before I even bought a road bike just not as smooth as I thought it would be what about exhaust the guy I got it from drilled 4 holes in it and the bike Sounds like a lawnmower as my dad says would like it to be silent as can be
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Gz Rider