Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
Orpheus

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
Depends what you mean by "superior" I think.
Hmmmm. Don't really care for that tone, thank you. :cuss:

It pains me that the "government" in this so-called free country thinks it is necessary to tell mature adults what they can and can not do, over and above the laws necessary for an orderly society, that is. And I certainly don't need other individuals trying to do that.

So, ride your bike like you want and I will do the same.......but I will not call your intelligence into question if you elect to do it differently than I.......and I'd appreciate it if you would give me the same courtesy.
I agree and disagree with you here.
The government's job in any society should be to make itself obsolete, whereby the general populace has the ability to make a rational and informed decision without the intervention of the government at all (some sort of a global anarchy seems that it should be the goal of all governments, I think). I am completely against most laws similar to the helmet and seatbelt requirements (I'm also for the legalization of all drugs and prostitution, but that's a topic for another thread), but at the same time, any informed and rational driver/rider should see that the chances of serious injury drastically decrease when wearing a helmet or seatbelt and make his/her decision accordingly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #22
alanmcorcoran

Re: Spent 15 min directing traffic last night....

The chances of serious injury decrease further if you just sit on it in the garage. Let's face it, part of the fun of riding is that little voice in the back of your brain that says, "If I don't stay focused on the task at hand, my organs are gonna be decorating this highway. " And then, "Yee-HAH!"

I'm wearing all the stuff right now, and probably always will, but I'd like to be able to have the option to ride the thing naked legally if I get a hankerin'... I understand the whole insurance business and the notion that everyone has a right to medical treatment, regardless of income or stupidity, kind of mucks up the personal freedom picture, but I think once you put a premium on "safety" a whole lot of fun shit goes out the window (including your prostitutes and drugs.)

My brothers and I used to launch metal trash cans with M80's when we were kids. There's really no redeeming value for this activity, but it is one of my fondest childhood memories. That, and firecracker fights. There's no accounting for the depths of depravity that boys find entertaining.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Jer

A lot of the "fun" stuff that you use as examples. Drugs, prostitution, firecrackers, etc.... Is a HELLUVA lot safer than laying a bike down at 35mph with no gear on. (I'd imagine)

To me they are in 2 completely different categories.

You can still be a crazy mofo and live a full, fun, unstifled life doing numerous things that the squares wouldnt dream of all while wearing your gear on the bike.

Of course I do hope it'll always be your own choice whether or not to do so. It just surprises me the life or death risks that many bikers take. There's living, and there's giving death the midle finger every day.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #24
LilNinja77

Quote:
LilNinja77 wrote:
You said it right Cornmike.

Ok Ok I have friggin' horrible eyesight...........let me correct myself, uhum :
"You said it right Comike"

There, is that a little better? :tongue:

And on the leather note.......like I said, I have a big fast moving mouth, and sometimes it's not the most brilliant of speakers. And I DO believe I've apologized at least once for my previous soapbox speeches.......thank you very much. :biggrin:

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #25
Easy Rider

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
......but at the same time, any informed and rational driver/rider should see that the chances of serious injury drastically decrease when wearing a helmet or seatbelt and make his/her decision accordingly.
Well, there you go making a value judgement and trying to assign attributes to a person based only on ONE decision he has made. The implication of your statement above is: Anyone who chooses to ride without gear is either uninformed or irrational. I contend that neither is necessarily true. It is not your place to judge me.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #26
Jer

But isnt it also true that its not your place to judge his characterization of someone displaying such behavior?

The best we'll get is agreeing to disagree.

Its a bit one sided to say "you dont get to judge me". All opinions are equally valuable.

The people that look at someone playing russian roulette and shake their heads in disbelief can have their opinion that the guy with the gun up to his head isnt making very responsible decisions. Just like the guy with the gun can think that the odds are in his favor that he wont hurt himself.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
Its a bit one sided to say "you dont get to judge me". All opinions are equally valuable.

The people that look at someone playing russian roulette
Sorry but that logic is somewhat warped.

When it comes to ME, the only opinion that counts is MINE.
You can think whatever you want but it is not always appropriate to express it in public.
If you are going to be openly critical of a whole group of people, you'd better be ready to take some flack.

Your analogy with russian roulette is a pretty big stretch.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #28
Jer

Opinions that dont match mine arent flack. They are just that, opinions that dont match mine. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me. And I'm fine with them telling me about it.

I'm not of the mindset that if you arent going along with the crowd then dont express yourself. Thats for the lemmings. Someone mentioned the "american Way" or something similar. Freedom of expressing ones opinions is another one that falls in that category.

Quote:
Your analogy with russian roulette is a pretty big stretch.
I dont think so. When I see a dude riding a motorcycle doing 80mph on the interstate wearing jeans and a t-shirt it seems very similar to russian roulette.

You dont have to agree with me.

And you are right, I shouldnt be telling you what to do. And I'm not. My point here is you shouldnt be telling me how to think either.

Isnt that fair?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #29
Comike14

Nobody should be telling anybody what to do. I don't see that here.

A forum is a place of opinion and, most often, circular argument. I say it's stupid to cruise with nothing other than flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt. I say so because my own experience tells me that, as does common sense. And every time I see someone doing that, I shake my head and think, "I hope that poor guy doesn't leave a 30-foot long skin trail if he goes down."

Shoot flak at me for thinking that--I can take it. And if you don't wear the right gear, I DO think you're being stupid. That's all there is to it.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #30
Jer

What he said.

Doesnt mean we cant communicate. Or be friends. (even if just virtual friends sharing an interest)

To me its like smoking. I think its stupid. I think my own mother is an idiot for doing it. And I've told her. But its her choice. And I love her.

I'm allowed to express my opinion just like she's allowed to smoke.