Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #71
Easy Rider

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
Though my fiance would argue that it affects her, and our potential future children.
Each situation is different. If and when she becomes your WIFE, then I will be the first one to tell you that you had better do what she says.......and you will be stupid if you don't. I learned that about 39.5 years ago. :biggrin:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #72
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
Though my fiance would argue that it affects her, and our potential future children.
Each situation is different. If and when she becomes your WIFE, then I will be the first one to tell you that you had better do what she says.......and you will be stupid if you don't. I learned that about 39.5 years ago. :biggrin:
Haha! I learned that lesson before I considered buying a ring! I also learned that it doesn't matter how logical the argument is--I will never actually win.

:crutches:
Old 09-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #73
Jer

Re: Spent 15 min directing traffic last night....

Aint that the truth.

One of my favorite movie lines, from "As Good As It Gets"

Jack Nicholson's character, a writer, is asked how he writes women so well. His answer"

"Easy, I think of a man, then I throw out reason and accountability."

Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #74
rusty rider

My wife made an agreement before we got married.

I get to make all the big decisions! :rawk:

She gets to make all the little decisions! :shocked:

18 + years later, we've yet to have any big decisions.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #75
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rider
My wife made an agreement before we got married.

I get to make all the big decisions! :rawk:

She gets to make all the little decisions! :shocked:

18 + years later, we've yet to have any big decisions.
Ha! Forgot where I heard that before... but it seems to be a common theme! What have I gotten myself in to?? :lol:

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #76
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

I had a wife for 9 1/2 years. Well 8, cause I didn't live with her for the last year (it took that long to get her to sign the papers). I walked out on her and gave her all the "stuff." Before we got married it was "lets make decisions together". Immediately after (and I mean on the honeymoon) it changed to "I make all the decisions regardless of what you want. I'll still ask for your opinion, but I'll get pissed off if it's different than mine." I won't go into details, but it went downhill from there.

My GF is awesome though. She's a nerd like me, and likes everything I do (and vice-a-versa). She's actually my best friend (which the old one wasn't) She doesn't care if we get married. If we ever did, she wants to do it at Dragon Con, with the part of the priest played by a Kilngon. Or something equally nerdy.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #77
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
The analogies about wearing a helmet so far have somehow avoided the obvious comparison to wearing a condom when having sex
NFL players only have to worry about colliding with other human beings at running speed
Both rather interesting analogies but in both cases, the "helmet" is there to "protect" you from something that is the "object of the game"! :biggrin:

I believe helmets are a good thing but I don't think it is government's place to mandate personal safety. That's pretty much it for me.

I have been extremely lucky in my 40 years of riding but I don't think it is all luck. I've had only ONE bike accident and that was in a parking lot at 3 mph, 38 years ago. Only one cage crash too and that was 43 years ago. Serious defensive driving is the key. To a large extent, one makes their own "luck".

So......I ride with a brain bucket about half the time. Always on the highway and always in unfamiliar territory. Puttering around town, mostly not. Is that a bad choice? Maybe but it is neither uninformed nor irrational and despite the hype some would throw around, it affects nobody but ME.
I agree 100%. I got the impression earlier that you were advocating a kind of "it's my opinion, so you can't tell me I'm wrong" kind of thing. If I lived in a small town where I didn't have to worry about half a million strangers sharing three-lane roads with me, I'd probably do the same. I still ride on the small side roads without a helmet, but it's usually just to the corner store and back (less than 1/2 mile). It's all about accepting risk, and that's what I'm willing to accept.