Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Riding two up...

I'm not saying... I'm just sayin'.

Seriously, just spitballing about how the frame of reference works in reverse too. After you ride around on the big ones, it's an adjustment climbing back on the small ones, too.

Gotta go, me and 27 other guys have to climb out of this tiny little car.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Alan you do have a way with words. Very entertaining. As for Lynda riding the GZ, she will be selling it to make room for the "M". No point in having 2 bikes and trying to squeeze them all into a little pie shaped corner of the underground parking area. We already have another rider's bike gathering dust and taking space. Damn shame if you ask me. It is a 2003 Honda Spirit(nicely equiped) and it hasn't moved in almost a year. Pretty sure the battery is toast by now.
We hope to get a couple rides in with the GZ to tune up the reflexes and muscle memory before Lynda tackles the "M" on the streets. Lately Lynda has been on her laptop searching for goodies that "I" get to install with my wealth of knowledge and never ending patience. Ya sure, just as long as my main tool is a hammer.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

I felt a little guilty and spent some quality time with Suzy last night. First, I removed the black, encrusted burn off the tailpipe where my Tour Master Calibers went to their doom. (BTW, is #0 steel wool different from #000? Methinks, yes!)

Then we went out on a little date: First stop, Pep Boys, where I picked up an '08 Seafoam which we snacked on with some 89 octane next to the pumps over at Chez Mobil. Then it was around the neighborhood for a little after dinner carb cleansing followed by a sensuous chrome polishing.... well, you know what I mean. Even looked on the interent for a trunk to put on the rear fender, but didn't see anything that really grabbed me.

I predict Lynda will love the M50. Let me know how it goes.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
mrlmd1

Sounds to me you're feeling a little guilty about cheating on the GZ, having an affair with the new Strat, and that you're getting ready to dump her with a For Sale sign if your wife doesn't want to ride it. Or your daughter doesn't steal it. If you keep it, I guess you can have a mistress and a wife but it gets a little complicated.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

Fortunately for Suzy, I am probably too lazy to sell her. Ironically, now that I have two bikes to ride, I can mess around with them more freely. I have similar garage issues to WW, but I'm going to see if I can evolve into a two bike guy like Sarris.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
mrlmd1

Way to go! :2tup:
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I predict Lynda will love the M50. Let me know how it goes.
Well, I predicted that YOU would be happy with an M too........and you see how THAT turned out !! :roll:

But then you ARE somewhat more unpredictable than most. :biggrin:
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #18
alantf

Hey,
I keep seeing people talking about "seafoam". Not being American, I'd never heard of the stuff. In over 40 years of riding & driving cars, bikes, & buses, I'd never used any additives, However . . . . . seeing the posts about cleaning the carb., I was looking on the supermarket aisle that had all the auto stuff (unfortunately there's no auto spares shops over here) & came across a petrol additive. Reading the blurb, it said that it was good for cleaning the carb., plug, valve seats etc. It sounded like the original snake medicine, but I thought "what the hell!, Im only 4.50 euros down if it doesn't work!" I put 75ml in the tank, & a couple of hours later started the bike, & went on a 10km run. WOW! what a difference. Different bike. Quieter, smoother, less jerkey. I'm gonna put it in the tank every 4000km, like it says. It also says that with a new engine, you should put it in the first 3 tankfuls, so, If my experiences are anything to go by, it might be worth bearing that in mind for anyone buying a new bike.
I'm no mechanic, but I reckon to know my way around engines, but, as the saying goes, "you learn something new every day"
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
mrlmd1

Alantf - What's the name of your petrol additive? Maybe we could look for that over here if you think it's so good.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Alantf,

I noticed mine ran a little differently with the juice in it as well. It was like it was a smoother, but maybe with a little less oomph. Hard to describe articulately. I rode the big one today as I hope to show it off to a girl before it starts raining, but, once the weather clears, I should get some more seat time n the GZ with the Seafoam.

Why don't they just put that stuff in the gasoline?