Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #41
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
On the post above, Jenny, I always did it by sight. I would stand my bike up straight (straddling it) and fill it to within about an inch from the top,
Well now there's a REALLY bad habit you need to work on un-learning.

Something happens so that gas splashes out .......it runs down on the hot engine where it ignites.
And there you are with the nozzle in hand, flames exploding in your face and unable to make a hasty exit because you are straddling the bike.

Bad. VERY bad. :cuss:
Hmm. Never looked at it that way. Though I thought you needed an open flame to ignite gas, or a spark, not just a hot engine. Do you fill while the bike is at the kick-stand (leaning) position?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #42
rusty rider

Yes, always fill bike on kick stand, standing beside the motorcycle. Gas can ignite on a hot muffler, I've seen it happen on an old tractor we had on the farm.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #43
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
Hmm. Never looked at it that way. Though I thought you needed an open flame to ignite gas, or a spark, not just a hot engine. Do you fill while the bike is at the kick-stand (leaning) position?
Yes gasoline can and will ignite with sufficient heat alone. Then there is a chance of a static spark. Either way, a BIG risk with NO corresponding reward.

Yes, I do it on the side stand......with the bike far enough from the pump so I have room to move around.
Wierd stuff happens at times. Witness the video that captures a guy pumping gas into his car when another car crashes into the pump he is using.......setting the pump and both cars on fire.

See patrick's post with diagram.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #44
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Sarting to sound like putting gas in the bike needs a How-to.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #45
Comike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Sarting to sound like putting gas in the bike needs a How-to.
Guess so. Not something I ever really figured was difficult to do or dangerous, but apparently I'd been doing it wrong the whole time.

Ah well. Now I know for when I eventually do ride again. Thanks for the tips--tis what forums like this are for, even as basic as filling up your tank.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #46
music man

I used to exclusively sit on my bike and put gas in it until one day I got a hold of one of those gas pumps that doesn't shut off right when you let go of the trigger, and bam there I was with gas pouring all over my gas tank, dripping off of it, and I had just rode about 80 miles non stop, bike hotter than hell. Needless to say I got off of the bike and stepped away found something to wipe it up with and lived to tell about it, but I can safely tell you that if that gas would have ignited, I would not have had time to get off the bike before I would have been on fire.

Later :rawk:
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #47
alanmcorcoran

I have filled mine up a grand total of three times so far...

and spilled gas two out those three times. I wasn't sitting on it and it was tilted, but gas went on the engine. I wiped it off all of the paint. Hoping to get it right one two times in a row.