Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: '06 GZ freeway driving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsmith
The carb tank cleaner (?) sounds like an idea - in any case, I think I'll be learning a lot over the next couple of weeks on how to keep this bike clean and maintained.
Welcome, newbie!

I see you have gotten some good advice already; I won't repeat it all but add a tiny bit.

There is NOT a fuel filter.....unless the previous owner added one.

It is called carb. cleaner. Original Gumout Carb. cleaner or Berryman's B12 Chemtool are the best. Certainly can't hurt to give it a shot.

Spring head winds can make a BIG difference; new riders sometimes haven't developed a feel for the difference between a head and tail wind yet. The combination of an uphill grade AND a slight head wind can be a KILLER in 5th gear.

A windshield might help a bit but not a lot. It is what it IS; not very powerful. :cool:

Edit: Almost forgot, our resident non-mechanic, Alan C. may have the right idea.......but 180 degrees out of phase. :whistle: (He is usually somewhat "out of phase") :shocked:

Check the rubber boots on both sides of the carb. One goes back to the air filter box and the other goes to the engine. Either one being loose can cause a loss of power when hot (too lean condition). So can a missing plug on the bottom of the air box drain hose.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
cfsmith

Guys,

Sorry for the late update but it's been a bit busy what with Easter upon us and all. Still, I wanted to update:

Ride Report #1

I think I may have found the culprit, though I'm not really sure... I had filled up with 93 octane and began having problems, refilled with 87 as the Manual suggested and... voila, problem solved??

Not sure if higher octane gas really affects the engine like I was describing earlier, or if I just had a bad tank of gas, but now I'm running 65 mph strong and steady with a decrease in speed on those inclines taking me to about 60 mph. This does include some decent wind resistance.

In any case, I'm glad to say my lil' GZ is back in the game and I'm havin' a blast again with no mechanical concerns. I've yet to get the carbs cleaned but it's on my to-do list (though I'm nervous to get in and do it myself... I may need it professionally done).

Also I have the 6k mile check-up to do with the dealership so they may catch some issues too.

Overall, however, I'm very content with the bike. People made fun of me picking up a 'small' 250, but they've been a bit quieter since I've been the only one to actually ride to work every day on it. It's my mule - the daily driver, the hill climber, the slap-a-grin-on-my-facer. I'm lovin' it

-c
Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Moedad

Right on! Glad you're lovin' it! It's a great bike.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

One of the other scientists on here posted something about the higher octane having less energy. Not sure if I understood it correctly, but it sounds like you may have proven his point. Your speeds are in line with mine. You can probably do a little better if you get a good mechanic on the carb and valves at one of your service internals. Also, I don't remember the mileage, but they get a little zippier at 1500 -5000 miles.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Higher octane fuel has a more controlled burn while lower octane just goes poof all at once.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsmith
I've yet to get the carbs cleaned but it's on my to-do list (though I'm nervous to get in and do it myself... I may need it professionally done).
Just my humble opinion of course but there really is no good reason to take the carb apart to "clean" it if the bike is running OK. An occasional shot of carb cleaner in the gas is highly recommended.......to keep from having to do a tear down. Berryman's B12 Chemtool is good stuff; it comes in a metal can for a reason !!
Seafoam is OK for preventative maintenance; lots of folks swear by it.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
music man

Easy, Seafoam comes in a metal can too ya know :retard: :neener: :poke2: .
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Easy, Seafoam comes in a metal can too ya know :retard: :neener: :poke2: .
Copy cat !! :shocked:
Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
burkbuilds

I think you found the "culprit" with your change in octane gas. Higher octane rated fuel has additives to retard combustion due to compression from high compression engines. Since the GZ is not a high compression engine, it should be fed 87 octane fuel, which, as someone already pointed out, explodes more quickly than high octane fuel.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
cfsmith

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm coming on to 6K miles and will need the service soon, so I'm going to pop on over to General Maintenance for a new thread.

Again, thanks a lot and I'll check out that carb cleaner suggested , Easy. The info is appreciated.

-c