Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
tommygun

What size bags work best on a gz?

I am looking for bags on ebay and found some great deals, but am worried about buying bags that won't fit. Any ideas or dem. I could use to help make a good purchase? The bags I am looking at are Length: 18 inches
Width: 6 inches
Height: 12.5 inches

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: What size bags work best on a gz?

I'm sure others will give you some ideas but first a couple questions to work with. Will you be doing any 2 up riding ? Do you want hard or soft bags ? Leather or fabric ? The dimensions you mentioned are a bit large. The length will be a problem I would think. Measure forward from the rear signal light to see where the bag will fit. I can almost see the bag on the right side resting on the muffler too. Try to find bags of smaller dimemsions but with an expandable section for more width. Lynda had some on her bike but regretfully they were cheap and fell apart last summer near the end of our trip. You will also be wise to get saddle bag brackets to keep the bags off/away from the rear wheel.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
alantf

Hi there,
If you go to GZ bike mods > luggage rack, page 4, you'll see some pictures of my bike, complete with leather paniers. I've just measured them, & they're 12" tall, 13 1/2" back to front, & 4" deep. This'll give you some idea how bigger or smaller panniers will look & fit. The 12" height means that the right hand one is sitting on the silencer, so I reckon that this is about maximum. Also you might need to pop rivet an aluminium plate under the panier for heat protection (see one of the other posts, but I can't remember which one). My paniers are nice & thick, so I don't need a bag support, but that choice is up to you.
Personally, I don't think that bigger paniers would fit the gz, but, again, that's up to you, too.
Happy riding

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Chris

On my GZ I have tied a milk crate on the back part of the seat. This is so redneck I cannot believe it, but, gosh, it just works great. I can take it off in a couple of minutes and put it on in ten minutes. I tie it tight to the shocks and the lights (not so tight there) and it never moves.
It make a great back brace. Last week I made a 900 mile, four day trip and could not have done it without the milkcrate. All my clothes, etc. went in there.
Again, really redneck, but works great. I don't ride for looks, I ride for me.

Chris, retired guy in Atlanta