Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 03-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Headlight cutoff relay.

I am adding a headlight cutoff relay to my GZ250. I can't seem to decide if I want to turn off the headlight only when pressing the start button or wire it with the kick stand switch so that the light is off when the kick stand is down. Anyone have thoughts or opinions about this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Headlight cutoff relay.

The headlight will go out when the starter is engaged. This is a factory feature on the GZ. Don't make changes just for the sake of change, it could bite you in the rear later on.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I believe that is false, WW.

My headlight does not go out when my starter is engaged. I can actually see it dim due to the battery draw.

Quim, I would be a little hesitant wiring anything into the headlight circuits. But if you're confident in your splicing/wiring/circuit-design, then you might be able to find another circuit in the bike (like the stator) that will only engage the light after the engine turns over. Check through the electrical diagram in the service manual and see if there's something in there like that. The kickstand switch isn't a bad idea though.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
alantf

Hey WW,
Like I've said before, theCanadian/Spanish spec is the same (according to the handbook) except for the lighting, which is set up for the Canadian regulations. However, I can't think that the headlamp going out when starting is anything to do with regulations. Mine doesn't go out on starting, but I suppose the different set-up could be wired for it. Sounds veeeery strange to me!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
My headlight does not go out when my starter is engaged. I can actually see it dim due to the battery draw.
Mine neither.

I have two comments:
What do you expect to gain by doing that?
I think messing with the already complex starting circuit is a BAD idea.....unless there is a LOT to gain......which I don't think there is.

If your battery is too weak to start it with the headlight ON, then get a new battery.......or get the charging system fixed. Your headlight cutoff idea will just prolong the inevitable by a few days or weeks.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I have two comments:
What do you expect to gain by doing that?
I think messing with the already complex starting circuit is a BAD idea.....unless there is a LOT to gain......which I don't think there is.

If your battery is too weak to start it with the headlight ON, then get a new battery.......or get the charging system fixed. Your headlight cutoff idea will just prolong the inevitable by a few days or weeks.
I expect to gain the avoidance of being stranded or having to find someone for a jump start. I've noticed that when my batter gets weak (ie I haven't ridden it in a month or two or accidentally left my tail light on) The charging system doesn't seem to be able to fully charge the battery, even if I ride for 3 hours. My battery is nearing the end of it's useful life so this is amplified somewhat. The headlight draws between 4 and 5A. Somebody else on here who was looking into heated riding gear said the electrical system only puts out 10A. That leaves only about 5A left for everything else.

I've designed industrial control panels including combustion safety circuits for work so the GZ250's electrical system is child's play for me. After thinking about it, I think I'll wire the head light in with the kick stand. All it will take is a relay and diode. When I get around to doing this I'll take pictures and post in the "how to" section for anyone else interested.

Besides I just can't seem to leave "well enuff" alone
Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
adrianinflorida

It would be nice to have an option to shut off the lighting when troubleshooting starting problems, preventing the battery drain that comes along with having the ignition switch in the "On" position. Otherwise, in Florida at least, you have to run with a headlight at all times, and I'd end up forgetting I had it off.

Now if it could be wired to shut off the lighting only when in Neutral, but switch them on when the neutral switch shows that the bike is in gear.....Now we're getting into that "Complicated Territory" that Easy was mentioning.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Quimrider

that's why I want to use the kick stand because I don't generally drive with the kick stand down, assuming that were even possible That way I can't forget to turn the light on. I wouldn't want to ride without a head light. That would make it even harder for cagers to see us.

Actually it would be easier to have the headlight turn off when in neutral than to use the kick stand. If you're interested I'll show you how. I thought about doing that until I realized that when ever I down shifted from 2nd to 1st my light would blink. This might confuse other drivers while coming to a stop at an intersection.

There is a very easy way to "turn off" the head light while trouble shooting. Pop off your seat and pull out the head light fuse. There's actually a separate fuse for high and low beam and both fuses power only the head light so you wouldn't have to worry about the fuse cutting power to other electrical components.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Joho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
There is a very easy way to "turn off" the head light while trouble shooting. Pop off your seat and pull out the head light fuse. There's actually a separate fuse for high and low beam and both fuses power only the head light so you wouldn't have to worry about the fuse cutting power to other electrical components.
Isn't that antithetical to your original point?? lol

Us men.. we like to tinker!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The headlight will go out when the starter is engaged. This is a factory feature on the GZ. Don't make changes just for the sake of change, it could bite you in the rear later on.
:whistle: :whistle: Brain fart, was thinking of the GZ but was remembering what the VStrom does.