Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
Maggie

Re: Backpack Recommendations??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Give a little more thought to the hard case on Alantf's bike. I have the same case. It comes off in a second or 2 and you carry it like a suit case. Water proof and tough as nails. More costly than textile/fabric bags but they are lockable and very secure on the bike. The Shad brand which Alantf has comes with it's own mounting plate for a rack on the bike. There are a few options for a rear rack but you can always try to make your own.
I took the easy way out with Lynda's GZ and mounted a top case in place of the pillion seat. I made up a steel plate to serve as a mounting rack with the top case mounting plate attached to it. Worked great and she had a backrest to boot. Lynda never carried a pillion so everything worked out perfectly.
WW, have any pics of that set up? You may have posted some in the past, but until recently my saddlebags have seemed sufficient for my needs so I may not have been as attentive at the time. :whistle:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Maggie, you will have to work for it. Search back to the early part of 2007 in bike mods(I hope it's mods) and there are some pics and info concerning the fabrication and assembly. Really quite easy to do. Sorry to be so nonspecific but it is a start. I did use a smaller trunk because it was handy and already available. At least I still have a few pics of the finished project.
The trunk was a 28 liter capacity but bigger is always better for storage.
Oh, a thought comes my way. Check out Bestem USA for some reasonably priced top boxes that seem to be quite popular and decent quality. Also be sure to verify if they come with their own mounting plate. Some manufacturers sell them separately and the cost can be tough to swallow.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #33
Water Warrior 2

Maggie!!!! Found the old posts. Look at Performance Mods way back in 2007/2008. Anything by Authors WW or Happy Hobo. Happy Hobo(Lynda) did the pics to begin with as I was less than all thumbs in those days. Now I am just all thumbs with many redos to my credit.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
alantf

[attachment=0:2ccervp9]img069.jpg[/attachment:2ccervp9]

Something like this, made out of 1" flat bar, may be a start. Measurements so that it fits across the bike on each of the side mount bolts. Then, maybe, the Box, or the mounting plate can be fixed to the two pieces. The height of the side pieces of the brackets is to suit the height you want the box to sit at.

The only tools required.....tape measure, pencil, bench vice, hacksaw, file, hammer, drill.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Thank you Alantf. I had forgotten about that idea. Another solution for mounting a trunk.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
Maggie

Quote:
Thank you Alantf. I had forgotten about that idea. Another solution for mounting a trunk.
Thanks WW and Alan!!! Have not been to forum for a couple of days and now I have a fun research project! Woohoo! Thanks guys, you rock!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Quote:
Thanks WW and Alan!!! Have not been to forum for a couple of days and now I have a fun research project! Woohoo! Thanks guys, you rock!
We are just trying to keep you busy and out of trouble. :lol: :lol: :lol: