Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
El Diablo

Armor All takes down a rebel in front of my house

My wife as out on the front porch reading yesterday afternoon. She came running in the house to tell me a guy on a motorcycle just went down while turning the corner in front of our house. We have large acre lot so the the corner is a good distance away.

As I come out the door, I can see he is standing up, pushing the bike up onto the side walk. He appears to be OK. I walked up to him as he is examining the bike and asked if I could help, did he need to use my cell phone or anything. As I walked up I noticed his tires were very shining and said, I see your problem right here. Did you just armor all your tires. He said, yes and I would have seen an ah ha on his face, however he never took his helmet off. I think his nerves were a bit shot.

He was ok, except for a scrap on his arm. He said as much and said he was just grateful it was not a lot worse. His Honda Rebel's foot peg took the brunt of the damage but the bike still ran fine. We talked a while while he regathered himself. Never did take his helmet off in the ten minutes we talked. I asked if he wanted to take the bike home in the back of my truck but he said he just lived down the street. I told him to be sure to call Honda to find out how to get the armor all off or if he would need new tires. Looked like he could probably use some anyway. Then he got back on his bike and left.

Note to all and I believe there is already a thread on this web site. Do not put slick armor all on your tires or you will go down in a turn.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Armor All takes down a rebel in front of my house

I know I will burn in hell, but this post made me.... grin. I wish I was a better person, but I'm just no damn good.

This sounds very much like something I would have done, except, I am too lazy to make my tires look shiny.

Thanks for posting. A classic.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
mirandaH

Send a message via Yahoo to mirandaH

very good info... i wash shining up my bike yesterday after the 7 miles i rode in my parking lot... (LOL). glad i dont own any armor all or it would have been on my seat and my tires!

as seen on a bumper sticker "Looking for a Sensitive Man, One That Cries When I hit Him "

Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

It's bad on the seat too. Takes good care of the leather, but it makes it really slippery for the first ten minutes or more. The last thing I like is my butt slipping around on the seat while I'm in the middle of a turn.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
5th_bike

All I ever used on my tires once was some dish soap solution, from a bucket and with an old dish brush, to remove oil and kerosene from the rear tire. It looked so good, I did the front tire as well. Rinse well with water.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
mrlmd1

If you want to use Armorall to shine up the sidewalls, just don't put it on the tread, obviously.
But this stuff isn't as good as its' cracked up to be, in preserving leather and vinyl.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
John B

The person that I bought my GZ250 from, in August, had put Armor All all over the tires to make them look good. I knew it would make them slippery and scrubbed the road service part of the tires with detergent and one of those sponges with an abrasive side to it. Armor All is hard to get off.

I mentioned it to a rep at a local bike store and he said he thought the guy must be an idiot. But then he went on to say that he had put some Armor All on his passenger seat and later while riding had to break hard and that his girl friend on the back slid into him really hard and scared the heck out of both of them.

John B