Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
DroidHoff

Anybody now of any Hard case storage options for the GZ????

Hey everyone, I was looking at a bike parked at work toady and it had a GIVI hard case on the back for storage. The cool thing was that the case sat up high enough to attach a backrest to it so it double as a sissy bar as well. It looked really sharp and I was wondering if anybody knew of any similar case/sissybars for the the GZ. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Anybody now of any Hard case storage options for the GZ?

My wife reckons this Shad 46 box is more comfortable than a backrest.[attachment=0:32p1stch]b4.jpg[/attachment:32p1stch]

It's also big enough to hold 2 helmets when we park up, or a week's groceries when I go to the supermarket. :2tup:
If I remember rightly, waterwarrior's also got the Shad 46.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
DroidHoff

Is it a fitted mounting system? Or did it take some jimmy riggin' to get it attached. Also did the case come with the needed hardware? and was a rear rack required for fitment? It looks great though, that's exactly the look I want to go for! I'm not opposed to crafting some brackets if need be, but I would prefer a prefabbed fitment (I understand that GZ accessories scarce). Thanks for the pictures!

Andrew

Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
alantf

It comes with a base plate that you fit to the luggage rack. You can then remove the box with a simple (locking) lever, whenever you want, & carry it with the integral carrying handle. Shad make boxes in many sizes/styles/colours. The only problem is that when you buy the luggage rack/cissy bar that you need to fit it to, you'll have to remove the cissy bar, & make an adapter, to allow the box to hinge forward & open. Not a hard job if you're at all handy with tools. Here's a picture of the spacers I made out of 15 mm square hollow bar, to replace the cissy bar.[attachment=0:zrohqkek]b13.jpg[/attachment:zrohqkek]
Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
DroidHoff

Thanks everyone! I just bought a like new Luggage rack for 40 bucks off a GZ. So next step will be selecting the right size case and it looks like there are plenty to choose from. It seems to me this is an easier and more economical way, plus you get more storage, to upgrade your bike rather than buying the sissy bar and saddlebags with supports! Shad does have a back pad mount for a few of their cases!

Thanks again,
Andrew

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

You may not want a back pad on the case. It takes up room and pushes the passenger forward. Or you have to mount the case even further back behind the rear axle. Some are way to pricey for what you get. A decent riding jacket will have a built in back pad that will be comfy and take up less room. The Shad 46 is a decent case in my opinion. I also have 43's on the sides but they are a poor example of quality control and ease of operation in my opinion. All of the cases I have only look like they have built in red reflectors for safety. Decorative but useless from a safety standpoint. 3M reflective tape from Wally World fixed that right smartly in a matter of minutes. Oh, before I forget. The lids have a string to prevent them from opening up too much and dumping stuff all over, especially the side cases. Replace the strings with a good slightly longer shoe lace and all will be golden. The top case will not fall closed on your hand while retrieving something. Same goes for side cases when off the bike and laying flat like a suit case.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Replace the strings with a good slightly longer shoe lace and all will be golden. The top case will not fall closed on your hand while retrieving something.
Such a simple solution to the same problem I have! Now why didn't I think of that? :blush:
Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Such a simple solution to the same problem I have! Now why didn't I think of that? :blush:
Maybe you are not "simple" enough ??!! :crackup
Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Maybe you are not "simple" enough ??!! :crackup
I heard that Easy. Show a little respect to an old guy will ya. I killed a lot of valuable brain cells working that out in my little corner of the universe. :lol: :lol:
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
gzrider01

I found a set of hard bags called dx out of a company in California.