Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Any ideas of a good 12V Power Outlet to connect my GPS?

I'm not sure that I could explain myself monosyllabically enough for you to understand.

The petcock on these tanks only flow gas when there is engine vacuum. Some bikes have an off switch on the petcock, but the GZ doesn't IIRC. So, just pull the down tubes from the petcock to the carb, making sure you notice where they go. It's not hard to figure out. They are sized to a length to really only fit on the right way. Some gas will sprinkle out. Catch it if you want but there is really no need to.

Then, under the seat, there is a bolt (maybe two; it's been a while) Then you juts lift up slightly and push the tank towards the front of the bike and pull it away.

TADA!

BTW, Plus one to adding an inline fuse, no matter how you wire it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
cayuse

I just pulled my tank to get at the valves and hook up my new horn.
There are two hoses on the petcock under the tank, just pull them off, they are different sizes and can only go back on one way. Put a rag under the petcock to catch any drips; won't be much if your valve is turned to Run or Reserve.
Remove the seat and there are two bolts holding the seat bracket on, near the front of the seat.
Remove these and the bracket.
Then lift the tank up slightly and pull back a few inches, then lift away from the bike.
Very easy.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
cayuse

BTW Hacc81, I see you're in Abby, too. We'll have to hook up for a ride when the weather breaks.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
mrlmd1

For AC and hacc81 - another better solution is to put the battery tender leads with the flat plug-in connector on to the battery, then get a plug-in lead with the socket on the other end to use when you want. That way you can always hook up the charger when you need that, or if you don't want the socket, or in addition to the socket, you connect another plug with a lead directly to whatever else you want. Those connectors are available in any auto parts store and are very cheap. Don't forget the inline fuse near the battery on the + side.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
For AC and hacc81 - another better solution is to put the battery tender leads with the flat plug-in connector on to the battery, then get a plug-in lead with the socket on the other end to use when you want. That way you can always hook up the charger when you need that, or if you don't want the socket, or in addition to the socket, you connect another plug with a lead directly to whatever else you want. Those connectors are available in any auto parts store and are very cheap. Don't forget the inline fuse near the battery on the + side.
Great idea! I have a Schumacher maintainer and the cables with connecters that appear identical to the Battery Tender, but there is no in-line fuse. What size fuse should be used for such an application?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
hacc81

Quote:
Hi All, thanks for your replies!! I found it!!
Mrlmd1, what you recommended was exactly what I found yesterday... I went to a Suzuki dealer and they recommended to use this: The MOTORCYCLE CELLPHONE & GPS ADAPTER EKLIPES™ EK1-108 (http://www.brookshireinnovations.com/products.html)
[attachment=0:35bs4feo]Eklipes EK1-108.jpg[/attachment:35bs4feo]

I installed it yesterday and works perfectly!! The best part is that it cost $20 CAD and already has a 15A fuse...
I'll take some pictures of the final installation soon...
Thanks all...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #17
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
What size fuse should be used for such an application?
As a rule of thumb, current = watts divided by volts, so if you know the power you want to draw (in watts) just divide by 12 (for a nominal 12V supply), then fit the fuse next up. The fuses usually come in increments of 5A, so say (for instance) your current draw is 12A, then fit a 15A fuse etc. Just make sure the cable is thick enough to take the rated current of the fuse you're fitting. :2tup:
Old 02-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacc81
Quote:
Hi All, thanks for your replies!! I found it!!
Mrlmd1, what you recommended was exactly what I found yesterday... I went to a Suzuki dealer and they recommended to use this: The MOTORCYCLE CELLPHONE & GPS ADAPTER EKLIPES™ EK1-108 (http://www.brookshireinnovations.com/products.html)
[attachment=0:2pyvi2hi]Eklipes EK1-108.jpg[/attachment:2pyvi2hi]

I installed it yesterday and works perfectly!! The best part is that it cost $20 CAD and already has a 15A fuse...
I'll take some pictures of the final installation soon...
Thanks all...
You got it! Looks like they make some nice adaptable stuff, and they're all fused. You can buy those SAE connector short cables in any auto supply store if you want to splice them onto a power line for anything else, like a GPS or radio for instance. You leave the battery end on permanently, cover the plug end with some kind of plastic cap you may find to keep it clean, and use it for the battery tender when needed. Nice find.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
dentheman

Keep in mind that if you wire this to the battery whatever is plugged in will continue to draw current even with the ignition off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a gps turned off would continue to pull a very small amount of current for the clock and perhaps some other functions.

Maybe that's why I previously mentioned a relay.

I am curious to see how you mount this, since it doesn't appear to have lock nuts on the barrel.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
mrlmd1

If you put in a relay in the circuit, you can't use it for charging the battery unless the ignition is on. That defeats the purpose of the battery charger. You just have to remember that plug is hot all the time, so you either put a switch in the line AFTER the SAE plug, or hook up the relay AFTER the SAE plug, or just remember to unplug whatever it is when the bike is off and take it with you (easiest).
Don't all the GPS units have internal batteries for the clock and internal memory? They automatically get the correct time when you turn them on anyway. The draw from a GPS unit turned off and still plugged in is probably nil, if anything, unless it's charging it's battery.