Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 03-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: $50 saddle bags on amazon: do they look right size and a

Believe it or not I can't remember the name of the top case. There are a bunch on E-bay that will offer reasonable security and are weather proof. Just make sure they come with a proper mounting plate to attach the top case onto. Then all you need to do is create a metal plate to replace the pillion and install the case's mounting plate on it. Really an easy job overall. I just fashioned a cardboard template and found the local metal fab shop to do the dirty work. After that it was just a matter of drilling holes where they should be. Used the 3 pillion seat fastening points so no extra holes were drilled into the bike. 2 bolt holes upfront and 1 at the rear on the fender.
I would suggest a slightly larger top case than 28 liters. Harbor Freight and JP Whitney sell knock offs pretty cheap that have proven to be popular and of reasonable quality. Usually made in China but who really cares if the price is right.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Then all you need to do is create a metal plate to replace the pillion and install the case's mounting plate on it. Really an easy job overall.
*easy job overall*

says you... I have no idea what I am looking at when it comes to things like that. I am a computer tech. I watch those type things, sometimes with popcorn.... :popcorn:
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Easy job overall is correct. Take the tool kit out of the bike, it is under the drivers seat. You will then have access to all 3 nuts/bolts that hold the pillion on the rear. Remove pillion with tool kit. The metal plate you need and make is going to fit very nicely. Trust me on this. The only thing needing to be done to the plate after the fab shop cuts it to size is for them to bend the rear end ( 1.5 to 2.0 inches )of the plate down about 20 degrees. You will see what I mean when trying to fit a cardboard template on the bike. This will allow the plate to sit level and clear the curvature of the fender while still bolting in place nicely on the rear of the fender.
You will want to get a top box first so you know how large or small the fabbed plate should be to fit the top box mounting plate.
Yup it may sound daunting at first but if you can operated a ruler, tape measure, scissors, electric drill and a pencil you can do it no problem. A hammer and a punch are nice to have before trying to drill the metal plate.
The top box also makes a great backrest although you will probably not need the backrest pad that Lynda had. An armored jacket with a backpad is very comfy.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
The top box also makes a great backrest although you will probably not need the backrest pad
My backbox is behind the pillion. My missus says it's a more comfortable backrest than the original pad that I had to remove to allow the box to be opened. It's a Shad 46 like WW's. (No pad) :2tup:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
The top box also makes a great backrest although you will probably not need the backrest pad
My backbox is behind the pillion. My missus says it's a more comfortable backrest than the original pad that I had to remove to allow the box to be opened. It's a Shad 46 like WW's. (No pad) :2tup:

How is yours attached?

Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #16
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by waya

How is yours attached?
I got a luggage rack, backrest, combination that fixes to the fender mounting brackets on either side of the rear fender. The set-up is in sections which are bolted together. As the box hinges forward to open, the backrest obstructed it, so I removed the backrest, & replaced it with a couple of 4" long packers, made out of 15mm square steel tube. a rubber plug in each end, & a spray of black paint & everything is fine.[attachment=1:3oessc8k]b4.jpg[/attachment:3oessc8k][attachment=0:3oessc8k]b13.jpg[/attachment:3oessc8k]
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

The top pic is a good indication of the max size you can go with saddle bags without running into problems. The 46 liter top case is a decent fit even though it is a larger box than normally found on a smaller bike.