Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
mrlmd1

Re: I fought the dog and the dog won.

Just wait 'till you get up and around and you try and go through the airport metal detector.
How you feeling now a week out from all that?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
JWR

Man, that sucks...
Hope you are feeling better soon.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
burkbuilds

Well it has been over 8 days since the crash. I am still at the rehab hospital and I am still on some heavy duty painkillers but i am making progress each day. I can now get from the bed to my wheelchair by myself, and maneuver around the room and go up and down the halls. I can feed myself meals and get to and from the toilet unassisted. I can get in and out of a car, brush my teeth and shave and even get baggy shorts and shirts on and off by myself. Given a few specialty tools I can even put my socks on and off but i can't tie my shoes. It will be several months before I can walk and I can only lift my right forearm to a position parallel with the floor for now. I am in good spirits and looking forward to a full recovery.

Insurance estimates $2200 in damages to the bike. I plan to have my local dealer go over it and see if they find anything the adjuster might have missed, no big hurry since it will probably be Fall before I can ride again.

I am hoping to be released by the weekend and do the rest of my rehab as an outpatient.

Thanks again for all your well wishes.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
Rionna

This is an incredible accident and could have happened to anyone. I am glad that your injuries will not result in permanent disability. I hope your recovery is swift and your pain is minimal. Will continue to send prayers and good wishes your way!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
PimpS

Burkbuilds, you cannot believe what a cold shower your accident is to me. Since i've seen your pics i got really careful, when driving through villages or gipsy village, since there are a lot of dogs who ran, bark... beside the cars, bikes and motobikes. I haven't run over a pet, forest animals, just frog... Yet...
Take care, if its any consolation, the good about your acident is that you survived it and share it with us, and to me: it's making me more careful and tolerant to the happening on the road...
Take care and i hope you'll be enjoying cruising soon!
May the force be with you!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #26
vikz250

Borkbuilds so sorry about the accident and that looks like a nasty ditch to end up! yikes! as a new rider I try to wear my safety gears but lately if I'm just going for a ride around my neighborhood I tend not to wear my riding jacket and even wear shorts! well after readibg this that will all change and I will have to invest on a good riding pants for I only usually wear denim or cargo pants..Hopefully you recover soon and ride sooner than later..
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Burkbuilds, you have been a long time member of this forum and a lot of us have gotten to know you as a great asset to our little community. It is never easy to hear of one of our members going down, crashing, losing control of their bike or getting hit by a vehicle. I am so glad to hear you are ok and alive to tell about it. I think i speak for everyone, even those who choose not to reply, that an accident like this always makes us, if even for a little while, more aware of our surroundings after hearing a story such as this. I witnessed a motorcyclist get clobbered by a car that turned left from the right lane, cutting the motorcyclist off and causing him to hit the side of the car. I sat there with him while paramedics were on the way, dealing with moron bystanders wanting to move him, take his helmet off (some idiot who said he knows first aid says take his helmet off and check see if he can move his neck, to which i told him to 'fuck off, touch him and the EMT will be tending to you as well) and the crazy driver wanting to SHAKE HIS HAND while he lay there scraped up and in obvious pain. But seeing that accident happen right in front of me sent a chilling message that shit can happen anywhere, any time with no warning. For the next two weeks i rode much more cautious and actually put a helmet on (yea yea, i know). Point is, we all feel the effect of someone else's accident in some way or another.

I, as well as the rest of us, wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back riding again when you are all healed up. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take the time to feel better and come see us when you are able.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #28
Water Warrior 2

Dupo, you raise some good points about helping a downed rider. Stay with them and fend off the do gooders until the EMTs arrive. Never ever try to remove a helmet of an injured rider.

The handshake thing is just out of this world when you think about it. Hi, my name is Terry(sticks out hand)I just tried to kill you.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Dupo, you raise some good points about helping a downed rider. Stay with them and fend off the do gooders until the EMTs arrive. Never ever try to remove a helmet of an injured rider.

The handshake thing is just out of this world when you think about it. Hi, my name is Terry(sticks out hand)I just tried to kill you.
Looking at it from their perspective, I think the real human reaction would be to want to console them in someway or to embrace them to let them know that they are sorry. It's a primate thing that you can observe while watching Chimpanzees have their little clan/turf battles in the jungle. One clan will attack another, but they will often pick out opposing chimps and give them a kind of handshake or arm rub to let them know that it's not personal and they are sorry. (I know it sounds kind of out there, but look it up. It's fascinating. I recommend "Next of Kin" by Dr. Roger Fouts. Look past the personal opinion parts and what you see from his study of wild chimps explains a whole lot about human behavioral techniques.)

Drivers in that situation were, as most of them are, completely unaware of the one-personal vehicle that was flying towards them. Had the motorcyclist been another car, with air bags and such, you wouldn't have gotten that kind of response from the driver. At least the person felt sorry, even if their desire to express that is misguided and ill-timed.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Jonathan, I do understand the human message to offering a hand in times of stress etc. But it still sucks when some one turns left in front of you and takes you out. I had this happen to me years ago. Yes , we did the handshake. Lucky me, no bike, just my brand spanking new car. Great witness's though. Two LEOs across the street.