Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #31
burkbuilds

Re: I fought the dog and the dog won.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I was really fortunate to have a fellow biker come to my aid while I was in the ditch and grateful for his insistence that I stay put until the EMT's arrived. After 3 months, I was finally given permission last Tuesday to start putting weight on my right leg again. It's kinda tender but that will eventually go away, I hope. I have about 85% range of motion with my right arm again although I've lost a lot of muscle, but that will also come back eventually. My ribs are no longer painful, just a little "stiff" at times, but at least it no longer makes me wince if I sneeze.

Hey, My Trike kit arrived yesterday and I'm hoping to get started with the conversion of my new Vulcan 900 into a trike later this week. I'll take lots of pics and post what I'm doing as I go.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #32
Water Warrior 2

BB, the trike kit will be a good form of therapy for the muscles and mind. Just don't over do it and work safe.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
Maggie

Wow, BB. Thanks for all of the details and the pics and especially your positive attitude. I am very careful about all gear except my chaps or overpants and I am almost paranoid about my knees and shins. And yet, I continue to ignore Alan's sage advice about crash bars...think I will start the research to rig all 3 of my bikes. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery and minimal pain.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
burkbuilds

Maggie, I am also a big fan of good crash bars. Although mine did not prevent my leg from breaking, they were bent, showing that they took some of the impact I would have otherwise received, so even though they didn't prevent all the damage, I think they probably kept me from worse damage. I went down one other time and the crash bars were scraped up and I was unhurt, so yes, I think they are a good investment.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
joebielski

Wow, that is insane!!! I know it has been a while since your accident but my heart goes out to you and hope you are feeling better!!!
Regards Joe.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #36
burkbuilds

Thanks Joe, I am still recovering 7 months out, but I've made tremendous progress and I will continue to regain some of what I've lost for several more months. I am walking without a limp now at least until I get fatigued near the end of along day. I am back in Physical therapy to further strengthen my right leg muscles to further stabilize my knee joint and just generally regain some of the muscle lost to atrophy. I have about 95%+ range of motion in my right arm again and I think I'll get at least 98% before I'm done with my progress. I plan to graduate from college in less than a month and after the holidays I plan to join a gym and get back to swimming laps and getting some of this weight back off me which should also help lesson the stress on the knees.

Everyone has been very supportive and encouraging about my recovery and I really do appreciate the kind words from this community of riders.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #37
blaine

The bike looks awesome!! Glad to here that your healing well.All the best in the days ahead.
:cool:

Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The bike looks awesome!! Glad to here that your healing well.All the best in the days ahead.
:cool:
Blaine..............turn on your memory cells please. BB has recovered and has been doing well for some time. :lol:
Old 11-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
burkbuilds

WW, although I've made a lot of progress Blaine is correct that I still have some recovery left to go. I'm back in physical therapy doing work to strengthen my right leg muscles and stabilize my knee joint. I have definitely come a long way since the wreck in April, but I hope to make further progress in the next couple of months and get as close as possible to the range of motion and abilities I had before the wreck.

By the way, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone this coming week, even you Canadians
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #40
Water Warrior 2

Oh my. Here I thought you were pretty much recovered and ready to run a marathon. :oops: My bad. Obviously you are far better off than you were a few months ago.
I can relate to a range of motion or lack of it though. I messed up my left shoulder years ago and had to do PT etc to get things right again. I was in a lot of pain for a long time before the soft tissue healed and gained strength enough to hold up my coffee cup. I'd likely have healed faster if I'd just snapped a few bones instead. Now that I think about it you did quite a bit of both tissue and bone damage.
I'll hold my cup up high and offer a toast to good health. :2tup: