Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
CincyKid

Want a louder exhaust

I'm new to this forum and I recently bought an '01 Gz 250. I love this bike but am looking for a louder exhaust. The stock exhaust is just too quiet and I don't feel safe with it. All so the idle varies when I tilt the bike, it idles faster when tilted to the left, then slower when tilted to the right so much that it dies out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, CincyKid

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
chromedome195

Welcome to the forum!
Hope you visit often, post often and enjoy your stay.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
grasshopper

When I had my gz250 I put a fishtail exhaust on it which was like straight piping it.
Check it out here..............

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ

Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There is an instructional article in the How-to section on how to do this. I recommend you read the comments and discussions on this topic as well, especially if you are new to motorcycles. It's not as simple as sawing something off and slapping something on, as these are carbed bikes.

Also, whatever you do, don't punch a hole in the baffle of the stock exhaust. You'll spend 2 weeks trying to convince yourself that you like the sound of a rattling rust tube before you wised you had listened to some weirdo on the internet. Just trust me.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
tnastvogel

I drilled four 1/2 inch holes in the end of my exhaust and it made it a bit louder.

As for the idle problem, try cleaning the carb jets, check the condition of the rubber on the needle valve and the valve seat, check if the float is adjusted properly, and do an idle drop (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=31262)

Also check the condition of the cables to see if anything is worn or rubbing, and grease the starter circuit slide.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not.

You should only need a phillips head, 10mm wrench, 14mm wrench, a magnifying glass and a tire tread depth gauge for checking the float height, some carb/choke cleaner and some copper wire. Somebody posted a pdf of the service manual somewhere on here for specs.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Cathy

I would not bother with a louder exhaust. I don't care what people say about "Loud pipes save lives" in the end you're just not a good rider if it is a requirement. If you can not "ride your lane" and have presence where other drivers will know where you are. You are not riding safe.

If it is at a performance/audibly pleasing stand point then sure why not, it wouldn't make a huge difference.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
tintankaussie

After riding my bike around town and getting cut off by other traffic and the worst are people crossing the road with all the other noise going on i cut my factory pipe off just past the foot peg and slipped/bolted on a "shorty" muffler from a harley,it s not to load but enough for people in cars and pedestrians to here me coming,everything on the bike is standard ;ie carby-air box/filterand can comfortably sit on 100kph (60 mph) for two or three hours riding with more throttle if i want...ken
Old 09-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintankaussie View Post
After riding my bike around town and getting cut off by other traffic and the worst are people crossing the road with all the other noise going on i cut my factory pipe off just past the foot peg and slipped/bolted on a "shorty" muffler from a harley,it s not to load but enough for people in cars and pedestrians to here me coming,everything on the bike is standard ;ie carby-air box/filterand can comfortably sit on 100kph (60 mph) for two or three hours riding with more throttle if i want...ken
I would like to see pictures of your exhaust mod and bike or maybe video with the sound of the exhaust. Welcome to the forum. Have fun and ride safe.

http://youtu.be/KIS9Hzv--f0
https://youtu.be/fvmTNllcQOQ
Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
tintankaussie

Louder exhaust

Here is a pic of my standard exhaust that i cut off and slipped on a "shorty" from a bloke i know $40.00.
On visiting our local suzuki dealer (yes we have one in the bush and they have a brand new tu-250 in black on display,took photos for another topic)any way i enquired on the price of a whole new standard exhaust system and the price is $450.00 aus which is not bad.
The reason for this is every year we have to get e road worthy certificate before we can re-new our rego and our inspector has mentioned for the last two years that my exhaust is too loud and does not meet noise level regulations,so i am thinking and saving dollars to change it back...ken

The red bit in the last photo is the reflection of our car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suzuki gz Marauda 250 005.jpg (100.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Suzuki gz Marauda 250 006.jpg (87.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Suzuki gz Marauda 250 007.jpg (94.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
alantf

Here, in Tenerife, we have the Spanish inspection ever two years. For the exhaust they use a microphone linked to a decibel meter, with the engine at 4000 RPM. Mine passes ok, so I reckon yours aught to, if you fit a factory replacement. Unfortunately, unlike you, we don't get a warning. It either passes or fails.

Tags
exhaust, idle