Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Shammua

Duel Headlights

Has anyone done this without overloading the electrical system? I have always liked the look and think with duel lights you can adjust each to give a better pavement spread while riding. I have to replace my headlights assembly so was wondering whats my best option.

I was cruising down the highway and a guy changed lanes in an area where they were repaving the road, he knocked loose a large piece of asphalt and it slammed into my bike and my face. Fortunately I was able to turn my head enough to actually take the blow to the side of my head but sadly the bike couldn't do that so it shattered my headlight. The housing is bent to hell too so it's a whole new install not just the glass. On the plus side, now it's something I can upgrade to better if it's out there.

LOVING the saddle bags and trunk, even my daughter doesn't mind riding as much. Plus I can do so much more because I can carry stuff now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There are 100 different options for headlights and I am also a fan of the twin set up.

That said, there is a lot of wiring that stored in the factory headlight cavity, so I would be very careful of what you do up there.

Personally, I would revert to stock and then just make yourself a lightbar and install some automotive fog lights. You don't have to run them all the time and you'll be able to control them when you need them to help lessen the load on the electrical system
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Yup, stick with the stock headlight and add auxilary lighting. I would look for LED lights that pull no more than 40 watts total. They are pretty spendy but really work well. Two 20 watt LED lights will light up your world.

A second alternative is HID lights but I wouldn't waste my time. I doubt you could find a replacement for the GZ bucket and as auxilary lights they need a warm up time. No instant on when you need it in a hurry.

A third alternative is at Walmart. Cheap driving lights with MR-16 Halogen bulbs. They normally come with 50 watt bulbs. Just substitute 20 watt bulbs and ride on. Note..... they are subject to early death due to vibration on the bike. Been there, done that. If however you could find 15 or 20 watt LEDs to replace the Halogen bulbs you would be a happy camper with no vibration issues.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Shammua

OK So I will be sticking with the stock light then and adding aux.

After looking at the damage and how it's setup it turns out I wasn't looking close enough or paying enough attention or what ever, anyway it's just the glass that broke, everything else seems to be fine.

Can I just replace the glass and move on? Believe it or not the light does still work, I honestly have to say I can see better without the glass. To bad I couldn't find a clear glass cover instead of one with the textured like it had.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammua View Post
OK So I will be sticking with the stock light then and adding aux.

After looking at the damage and how it's setup it turns out I wasn't looking close enough or paying enough attention or what ever, anyway it's just the glass that broke, everything else seems to be fine.

Can I just replace the glass and move on? Believe it or not the light does still work, I honestly have to say I can see better without the glass. To bad I couldn't find a clear glass cover instead of one with the textured like it had.
Check ebay for a new or used headlight. Be sure it will fit the GZ. Sometimes New Old Stock (NOS) will come up and be nearly the same price as used. Note........this does not apply to bulbs. Bulbs do age on the shelf in a warehouse and are dimmer and have a much shorter life span when use. Always buy bulbs from a high volume outlet or busy local parts store to assure newer merchandise.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Shammua

Would this work for the secondary lights (or what ever they are called)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2B8SF4TS2YZYV

I'm hoping this is within ranges and will do.
Still haven't found a replacement light yet, then again I haven't looked much either. :/
Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammua View Post
Would this work for the secondary lights (or what ever they are called)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2B8SF4TS2YZYV

I'm hoping this is within ranges and will do.
Still haven't found a replacement light yet, then again I haven't looked much either. :/
Those are more of a daytime running light than an actual night time light. Even as a running light they are marginal. I tried something similar and was not too inpressed with the results. Save your money and buy something worthwhile that will actually do a good job of lighting up the road.
I know the cost is always a factor but you get what you pay for when it comes to lights. Everytime I have tried to save a few bucks on lights I have been disappointed. I've been adding extra lights to vehicles for decades and should remember lessons learned.

Just thought I might mention some LED driving lights a friend with a BMW bike has on the front end. Clearwater lights that are really pricey. About $800.00. From what he says they are beyond belief and make the bike headlights look like candles. Other reviews I have read on the lights say about the same thing.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Shammua

OK So I got an after market headlight for the GZ and everything is looking good. It's the same draw as the old headlight just a different style look.
Now here is my new question for you all.
Where do I put all the wires that came out of the old headlight? It had a large opening at the back that all these wires and connectors went into for the housing to protect it. Well my new head light doesn't have that, it's only big enough for the 3 head light wires coming out of it. What should I do with the other wires? Do I need to weather proof the connectors, then wrap them, and then simply zip tie them to part of the frame or something just behind the headlight?

I'm in a real quandary here and could really use the advice.

This is what I got:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bikerxxs-ch...3&&filterid=u0
Old 10-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
alantf

Have you got a cone cutter? (It's like a cone, but with two cutting edges) You can enarge the hole until it's big enough for all the cables. Painting the cut edges and fitting a rubber grommet to protect the cables from the edge of the hole should finish the job.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Shammua

So I NEED to put those cables inside the light housing? I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.