Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
TestMonkey55

Question Why did you guys chose a GZ250 over a V-Star 250, I'm curious!

Not judging! Just curious what about the GZ250 made her the rite purchase over a V-Star 250. Because I'm sort of torn between the two, not sure which one to pick up and I would love your opinions!

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Kalel

Hello. To me I like Suzuki's performance, and i also the GZ to me it looks a little bit bigger, I think it is the biggest 250 entry cruiser. I dont know about the V-star but the Suzuki is a nice bullet proof little bike that as long as you take care of her the right way. it will run for everrrr (as in a long time, not for ever ever ). if you are planning on keeping that for a while bike go with the GZ. if you think you are going to outgrow it fast, get the Suzuki 650. nice thing about it is that it is as light as the GZ to be a 650.. and it has more power....
Old 06-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

I just like the classic styling and reliability of the GZ. As Kalel said, it looks like a much bigger cruiser bike and handles really well.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
chandlerbingfl

Agreed! I had the choice of a GZ, a Yamaha or a Honda Rebel, all things considered, the GZ definitely was had the better visuals...

chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
I just like the classic styling and reliability of the GZ. As Kalel said, it looks like a much bigger cruiser bike and handles really well.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

All 3 250cc bikes, the GZ, the Virago and the Rebel are light and agile first bikes. Not enough power or performance to intimidate a new rider. The GZ is the most substantial looking with its larger tank and general appearance. It is the only single cylinder bike while the others are the Rebel parallel twin and the Virago V-twin. The GZ is the simplest engine design and I would think the easiest to maintain and repair.

The GZ is the largest physically and will fit more riders or different body builds. Ergonomically the GZ is the best in my opinion. I did spend some time on a Virago and didn't find it as good. While doing slow speed training I hooked a knee on the handle bars and dropped it.

Never rode a Rebel but it would not be the best for me because of it's smaller physical size. Lynda rode one in training and cursed it while wishing she had her GZ to train on.

All 3 bikes weigh 300 lbs give or take and are easy to peddle around when needed.

The Suzuki 650 is a tad heavier, 60 lbs more actually and a decent bike with a large following. It is a torquey big single with belt drive and a very good first bike also. It's cruising speed is a bit higher than the GZ and can tackle long inclines and headwinds much easier. It is the GZ's big brother in my mind.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
TestMonkey55

Some of the reasons V-Star 250 fans chose it instead of the GZ250 are because of the Twin engine, single throw crank, better maneuverability, torque and better MPG.

How would you guys respond to that?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
spldart

We get it. Your a Yamaha fan boy looking for a flame war... Denied...
Old 06-11-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
TestMonkey55

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
We get it. Your a Yamaha fan boy looking for a flame war... Denied...
I'm not and I have no idea how you got that impression.

I even asked the same question on the V-Star forums to get their thoughts.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
5th_bike

He knows, no worries.

I'll answer to that.

Twin engine: Rear cylinder doesn't cool as well as the front one. And, one cylinder less, is one less source of problems.

Single throw crank: No idea what that the value or meaning of this argument is , but so far my GZ250 crank (be it 'no throw' or 'double throw') is performing quite well.

Better maneuverability: Hm, I wonder why they exclusively have GZ250 in the local rider schools, then. Sounds like a moot argument to me. Bicycles probably have an even better 'maneuverability'. Remember it's the rider that maneuvers the bike.

Better torque: I believe that, it probably goes faster too. But, how much better? They're both 250s after all...

Better MPG: Kind of moot, it's more your riding style and type of use (city vs. back roads) that determines MPG.

Which leaves the torque argument standing.

They don't mention the lower seat. If you have a small posture, the Virago is probably just fine for you. If you're a bigger guy or girl, I'd say think twice before choosing a Virago over a GX250.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
wacio

I ended up with GZ250 after searching CL for sub 500cc bikes close to place I live. Guy selling mine is 6 miles from my house. I gave offer over the email. Once accepted I went for test ride, verified bike is as described and paperwork matches it. I did the transaction and rode bike home from there. I would be OK with any of similar ones but most appealing to me is TU250. Unfortunately for some reason they dictate unreasonable premium I'm not willing to pay. As far as Star 250 goes I don't see any advantage in its construction or looks. TU250 at least has FI and center controls which I prefer.