Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Vegas Street Rider

High Idle

my '09' gz will not idle down when I come to a stop or downshift. I have to let the clutch out in gear and with brake on to slow it down and even then it will go back up. Where do I start. The choke seems to work properly with no bind and will kill the engine if I engage it and the throttle cable returns to it's original position as well with no binding. Suggestions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
blaine

Youhave a vacuum leak.....Check hose to petcock & around boots on carb.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Just pulled the airbox drain plug off and had raw fuel drain out and air filter is soaked as well.Small hose from bottom of carb was disconnected too. Where do I start? Will check for vacuum leaks first.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

Just checked all the hoses to the carb and intake connecter to airbox and securely reattached them all as there were no cracks or leaks and reinstalled the air filter even though it is fuel soaked (will replace asap). Started and adjusted the idle screw and ran it down the road to make sure engine was warm. Seems to have solved the problem. Is the small hose coming out of the bottom of the carb supposed to be a balance line and if so, is it supposed to be attached to something or just hang down through the frame, which it is doing now?
Old 12-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Just checked all the hoses to the carb and intake connecter to airbox and securely reattached them all as there were no cracks or leaks and reinstalled the air filter even though it is fuel soaked (will replace asap). Started and adjusted the idle screw and ran it down the road to make sure engine was warm. Seems to have solved the problem. Is the small hose coming out of the bottom of the carb supposed to be a balance line and if so, is it supposed to be attached to something or just hang down through the frame, which it is doing now?
Just the way it is......It's a over flo tube.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

So there is an overflow tube coming out of the bottom of the carb and another one with the plug in it coming out of the airbox, correct?
Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
So there is an overflow tube coming out of the bottom of the carb and another one with the plug in it coming out of the airbox, correct?
Yep.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
shawnie

Change the oil as well check to make sure no gas got in there when i had a petcock vacuum leak it got in the oil open the plug and have a wiff you will know right away
Old 01-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

Thanks for the advice Shawnie, been there, done that and dodged a bullet. I replaced the air filter after cleaning out the airbox and replaced the petcock, of course. Runs like a top again.
Had to put on an additional layer to ride these days as it has been cold (for Vegas). With the rain and cooler temps the bike has been purring. I love the fact that I can ride year around here and the bike is my daily rider anyway.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #10
Pmhearns

I have a similar issue. I just "rebuilt" the carb, replaced needle valve, orings for pilot screw, main jet holder, main needle, and gasket for float bowl. It idles high, also, once it stars to warm it dies... the idle slowly lowers then get really low. If I turn the peacock to prime and choke it a little the engine comes back to idle. I turn it back to on and choke off and it runs for 2 minutes and then starts dying agsin. What do you think? Vacuum leak at petckock?

Going to change the oil today, air box is completely dry and air filter is new