Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
steelhorse

Oh No Whining Noise

Hello GZ Riders, I have a question that is hard to explain. When I cruising along and I get up to about 60-65 my GZ starts making a whining noise that kind of fades in and out, it is very annoying. Could it be the wind blowing through something? It doesn’t do that at lowing speeds. I’m not sure what it is. My 2006 GZ with about 13000 runs good on cool days, it doesn’t like the heat.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Just use earplugs. But to be serious for a moment, I wouldn't get too excited about the whine. Some bikes just like to sing a little. The 650Vstrom that I had would just sound like a turbine winding up some times. I figure it was in the tranny and was just a characteristic of the bike.

Next time you do an oil change use a different brand of oil to see/hear if there is a change.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
wacio

Check if the chain is not too tight or worn out. If worn it is often doing "tooth claiming" and gets periodically tight changing noise pitch. Also try to see if wheel bearings are not getting noisy (especially front wheel).

If the noise is from air rushing over some parts in bike - look for dead end cavities - like missing plastic plug somewhere, check both handle bar ends, atc. Anything that could do "empty bottle in the wind effect.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
steelhorse

The noise seems to be coming more from the engine, or the top of the engine. It is like wannnn wannn wannn or wenn wenn but only at around 60 or 65 mph. 65 mph is about as much as I can get out my GZ. It runs fine and once warmed up it starts first time.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
The noise seems to be coming more from the engine, or the top of the engine. It is like wannnn wannn wannn or wenn wenn but only at around 60 or 65 mph. 65 mph is about as much as I can get out my GZ. It runs fine and once warmed up it starts first time.
At that speed you are obviously on a highway. Could it be tire noise on a particular road surface.

Did you check the chain and sprockets? At 13,000 miles it could be the chain/sprockets if they are original.

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 02-03-2017 at 02:38 PM.