Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
dodie

Cleaned Carb wont run correctly.

I cleaned the carb, it wasnt bad pretty clean. Installed a new k&n air filter also drilled the plug out on the pilot screw. The bike will start. The bike will run at a higher rpm although it will stall after a short time. Like it burns all the fuel in the bowl then stalls. I also can set the idle at a higher rpm it will run until I adjust the screw to a normal idling rpm then it will stall. I tried running the bike on prime thinking maybe it wast filling the bowl fast enough but it did the same thing (stall after a few minutes). Tomorrow Im gonna take the pet cock off and see if its clogged up. How many turns should I set the pilot screw at. The screw under the plug I drilled out. I dont see any vacuum leaks on the 2 rubber hoses the rubber looks good. It ran ok but not great when we put it away for winter. It used to surge aka to lean. I was trying to richen it up but putting a new high flow air filter on I may of made it even leaner. Any suggestions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
blaine

With the free flowing filter you may need to go to a larger Main jet.Pull your plug & see if still lean....2 1/2 turns out is a good starting point for pilot screw....Out is richer....In leaner.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
dodie

I looked at the spark plug it was black, way to rich. which makes no sense to me. I cleaned the carb put on a new choke spring, also put on a new left switch/choke assembly on the handlebar, put on a new k&n high flow air filter if anything it should be lean. If I cant figure a single carb engine its gonna suck doing a 4 carb system.I put my finger on the vaccuum line to the petcock it sucks hard leaves a ring on my finger. No vacuum leaks.The bike runs. If I make an idle speed adjustment it takes about a minute for it to make any difference in engine rpm then it will stall. The pilot screw seems to make no audible difference in engine sound or rpm. I can spray some starting fluid around the intake boot and air box boot .It makes no change in engine rpm so I know its a sealed system.Any help?

Last edited by dodie; 03-08-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
blaine

Has me wondering if your new choke assembly is operating properly & not sticking on.??

Old 03-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
dodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
Has me wondering if your new choke assembly is operating properly & not sticking on.??
I really dont like the choke system on these GZ carbs. I prefer a butterfly valve type. This is my wifes bike she is upgrading to an S40 soon.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodie View Post
I really dont like the choke system on these GZ carbs. I prefer a butterfly valve type. This is my wifes bike she is upgrading to an S40 soon.
A lot of bikes have this type...which is actually a "Enricher" more so than a choke..Just uncovers another jet that lets more fuel into the carb.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
wacio

Very important first step if you suddenly run reach is to check:
- if the float valve is working
- oring around that valve not leaking
- floats not cracked
- fuel level set correctly
Any failure of the any item above will cause flooding and running rich.

Last edited by wacio; 03-08-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
dodie

I can put it on prime and it doesnt overflow the carb. I used to have a concours and they are bad about hydrolock.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
dodie

Is it possible to be rich at idle and lean at higher rpm? It idles pretty good I set the float. It idles pretty good now but bogs when in gear and under a load at mid to higher rpm.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
dodie

Well my bad I had put the main jet in the idle circuit and the idle jet in the main jet. Its now behaving normal but bogging at mid rpm, Probly need a bigger main jet.