Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Viper2172

Shifter linkage

Need some assistance guys. The shifter linkage on my son's 2002 GZ250 came off the shaft the other day. Everything is still intact and I briefly had time to look at it but when I ran my finger on the outside of the shaft to look for a bolt hole, I didn't feel one. How is the linkage held in place? I looked on Partzilla for the diagram and it wasn't very helpful.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Pmhearns

Please be a bit more specific... wothout looking at one, im pretty sure the shaft is threaded on both ends there is a knuckle that threads on woth a jam nut that clips onto the shifter lever and the other end has an arm that fits over the splined shift rod inside the case. Im almost certsin the only bolt is a pinch bolt that holds the linkage arm to the spline
Old 03-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Ronayers.com has good pics in their parts section. Go there and then tell us which is the part you are inquiring about. They are numbered and easy to find in the pics. Go to "gear shifting" section for the GZ.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Viper2172

Ok, so after I took a look at it, I can better explain what the problem is. The toe shifter slides onto the left front foot peg. The question is what holds it in place? You can slide his on and off.

Is it supposed to be that way or am I missing something? I don't know much about this bike. We picked it up for my son to get his feet wet riding and then will move onto something bigger for him.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2172 View Post
Ok, so after I took a look at it, I can better explain what the problem is. The toe shifter slides onto the left front foot peg. The question is what holds it in place? You can slide his on and off.

Is it supposed to be that way or am I missing something? I don't know much about this bike. We picked it up for my son to get his feet wet riding and then will move onto something bigger for him.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Should be a bolt thru the bottom that clamps it on to the splines of the shaft.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

There is a spacer and circlip that holds the foot shifter on the shaft. There should be a visible groove around the end of the shaft for the circlip to snap into after you install the spacer.