Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Pmhearns

Gearing queation

Has anyone changed the gearing in the other direction? Like -1 in front or +1 or 2 in the back? Im building a bobber and just gonna cruise around town, likely never get over 50 mph. I have read that uncorqing the bike gives it less resistnace to spin and allows for a slightly increaded top speed, but woukd doing that along with a lower gear imitate a gain in low end torque? Or is there simpky not enough power to turn the back wheel with more force...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Gearing is pretty good from my experience on the GZ. Going down one tooth on the front will make 1st gear pretty useless. You will be revved out far too quickly. Adding 1 or 2 teeth to the rear sprocket might be more acceptable to your intended riding but keep in mind the cost of a rear sprocket is not cheap.

I would suggest leaving well enough alone till you need to replace the chain and sprockets and then experiment with adding and subtracting teeth.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Gearing is pretty good from my experience on the GZ. Going down one tooth on the front will make 1st gear pretty useless. You will be revved out far too quickly. Adding 1 or 2 teeth to the rear sprocket might be more acceptable to your intended riding but keep in mind the cost of a rear sprocket is not cheap.

I would suggest leaving well enough alone till you need to replace the chain and sprockets and then experiment with adding and subtracting teeth.

I gathered this concept from when i changed my gsxr600 to a 'quick accel' kit tjat came -1+2 (FRONT REAR). now i know the 600 is a completly differmt animal than the 250, but the math behind gearing remains the same. I lost some of my top end torque and speed but gained more usuable torque in the bottom end. And yes the the gz has a good feel already, which out of my 600, my vs1400, tbis ride is my favorite. The chain is likely the 17 yo original at only 9500 on the odo and a few of the links are tight. So during my build it will inevitably be replaced for function as well as the look of a new chain. But the core of my question comes from what i have read about uncorking this little bike. Pod filter, velocity tube, straight pipes(posibly with baffle) will cause the engine to spin more freely allowing highrr top speed and no real low end torque gain.... im not concernee with going 75 or 80mph, i have a vs1400 that cruises at that in its sleep lol..

If i am wrong about whqt effects of the mods i mentioned please correct me. I am not leaving the air box on, its getting gutted. I may wrap the pod for vacuum purposes but i will be jetting to match, which reminds, me, do you habe a good starting number?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
spldart

A gear change in that direction will make 1st gear a formality instead of a necessity as WW2 says.
I guess if you wanna lift your front tire with a hard launch then that change will help but you'll need to switch to second before your even doing a school zone speed limit o_O
Old 03-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
Vegas Street Rider

You can modify your bike the way you want and more power to you, but I don't believe the GZ is the right bike for the gear changes you have in mind, IMHO. Never the less, have fun and let us know how things turn out.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
A gear change in that direction will make 1st gear a formality instead of a necessity as WW2 says.
I guess if you wanna lift your front tire with a hard launch then that change will help but you'll need to switch to second before your even doing a school zone speed limit o_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
You can modify your bike the way you want and more power to you, but I don't believe the GZ is the right bike for the gear changes you have in mind, IMHO. Never the less, have fun and let us know how things turn out.

Shifting up ealrier than 20 mph doesnt really bother me too muxh, plus popping the front up is actually the direction im trying to go..

And vsr, i got the bike super cheap and in farily decent condition... its not going to be a daily more or less a cruise down A1A in cocoa beach (strictly inforced 35mph lol). But i see what your saying, obviusly dont expect the bike to preform well, oh and as for the cost of the rear sproket, i have a guy who will make one free of charge
Old 03-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

A free rear sprocket !!!!
If that is the case I would like to suggest going up one tooth on the rear just for experimentation. It wouldn't be a big change but might do well for your intended riding. A little more snap to acceleration but not a lot more in the shifting department.