Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
351 power

soft disc brake

just getting my 250 going again after a long winter. my disc brake lever feels like a soft brake pedal in a car. was great/firm when I put it away last fall. it will pump up if you pull it 4 or 5 times. lots of fluid in the reservoir. any ideas what went bad?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Have you checked for a small leak somewhere. A tiny bit of fluid going AWOL and a little air in the system will give you a soft brake lever. Without a firm one pull front brake you should not be riding. Take care and do it right. We don't want your next post coming from a hospital bed.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
blaine

System needs bled.....It picked up some air while in storage.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
351 power

Thanks guys. I am changing that front tire soon as everything arrives. May try bleeding that today. Any suggestions for the best job done? This bike had been sitting a few years and I've run it a couple summers now and this is the first real issue to pop up.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 power View Post
Thanks guys. I am changing that front tire soon as everything arrives. May try bleeding that today. Any suggestions for the best job done? This bike had been sitting a few years and I've run it a couple summers now and this is the first real issue to pop up.
Bleeding is easy......Make sure you keep resovior topped up as your doing it....Put a clear hose over bleeder & into a small jar.....Pump up lever till firm.....While keeping pressure on lever open bleeder slowly......You will here & feel the fluid & air escaping....when lever bottoms out close bleeder & release lever.......Repeat till you have firm lever & nice clean fluid coming out........You now have done two things......Bled & flushed the system of all old dirty fluid.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

Just a quick note, which you probably already know, but protect any areas on the bike that you don't want stripped of paint and finish. Brake fluid is really, really caustic.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
351 power

got the brake bled with no problems. thanks for the help guys. changed out the front tire at the same time. just waiting for the rain to stop
Old 05-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
351 power

btw vegas, had a nice time in your city this past march. stayed part of the time in Henderson area, hotel on lake las vegas.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

It's a great venue and beautiful area despite the heavy hit it took during the "08" crash. In the summer we like to go down there for their outdoor concerts. It is a 30 mile drive for us as we live on the north side of the valley but well worth it. Just east of there is the entrance to Lake Mead Recreation area with a great road to ride on into the Valley of Fire. I have pictures, but my stupid laptop won't let me post them on this site. I will try to transfer them to my other computer and hopefully I can do the album on my site. Enjoy your riding now that it is safe to do so. Remember, ATGATT.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
351 power

yeah had a pass and travelled thru the park road, stopped for pictures, and went out to Hoover dam. what a spot! drove out to the west rim of the Grand Canyon another day. WOW! stayed a couple days out to mt Charleston too. Great trip. you have some nice places to bike!