Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #31
Badbob

Re: Thanks Easy Rider, Jonathan180iq, BadBob & Water War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch
This may have been a simple fix to a simple problem, but when it is your first time and you are by yourself, it seems like a big deal.
Been there done that!

Keep in mind that motorcycles are more alike than they are different. You can sometimes find the solution to your problem in a forum for another motorcycle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Hey Stretch, glad to hear the learning curve is not giving you an ulcer. The more you tinker on the bike the easier it gets. Soon you will be hunting for tools for that special ocassion.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #33
Stretch

Any excuse for new tools :)

So long as I can keep making it run better, sound better, or ride better... I am a happy camper. And if we throw in the excuse for new tools -- it is worth any frustration!
-Bob

Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Stretch you must still be young and full of enthusiasm.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #35
Stretch

I wish!

Young at heart perhaps, but 20 years of Naval service and another six or so years in front of college students has frayed most of my edges and dulled most of the sharp ends. Luckily, on the bike I am 12 again (unfortunately with the recovery time of an 80 year old -- but happily, memory is the first thing to go!).

:tongue:
-Bob

Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 AM   #36
Water Warrior 2

Stretch, first off thank you for your years of service from the GWN. Second, feel 12 but don't act 12 or you won't have a license and you will have to send me your bike to ride while you grow up.
I am continually amazed how young we get when 2 wheels are involved. Just don't tell the government or they will cancel a lot of pensions.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:02 AM   #37
Stretch

No worries Water Warrior

Even as a 12-year-old, I had a healthy respect for gravity, speed, and friction burns... so I guess you will have to wait a bit longer before you get my bike

-Bob
Old 09-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #38
Stretch

Ouch - what a difference!

Well, I did get a chance to read up on the chain tightening and went out to check. My chain was so slack that I couldn't even get an accurate reading because it hit the frame when I lifted it and still wasn't tight! I tightened it up to the 1/2 inch specs and took it out for a spin. It is a whole new bike! The noise level is dramatically lower, the shifting is smoother (still slips in 5th when I upramp too quickly) and much more top end. I think my earlier problems with slow speed turns may have been aggravated by this loose chain/clutch and the resulting jerky acceleration and stopping. And here I was blaming my shifting technique (which can stll use some improvement)!

My real learning experience is in what to look for in when buying a used bike. I bought mine from the instructor/owner of the motorcycling training school I attended (actually bought it from the school itself, even though it was not a training bike). I relied on his "expertise" and assistance. After reading the wonderful posts here, I have found that (1) the handlebar weights were missing (replaced them), (2) the cracked tires "normal and no problem for a bike like this" need replacing (on order), (3) chain was dangerously loose, (4) the clutch wasn't adjusted properly, and his advice (5) "always rev the hell out of these bikes, they love it" wasn't very bright either. I am sure there are more learnings lurking in the bike...

I guess part of learning is unlearning. So far I have been able do it without the bike or I getting seriously hurt... I am going to try to keep it that way!

Thanks again for all of the help you folks gave me!
-Bob
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #39
Water Warrior 2

The joys of a used bike. I have no ability to find a used cage or bike that is good so I have always resorted to new and debt. I figure new and a warranty gives me a fighting chance if all the parts are in the right place.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #40
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The joys of a used bike. I have no ability to find a used cage or bike that is good so I have always resorted to new and debt. I figure new and a warranty gives me a fighting chance if all the parts are in the right place.
What? You miss out on all those great adventures. Just think what you could learn from doing all those repairs yourself.

Some of the best things I ever owned were bought used. I glad someone is willing to pay for the shiny part.