Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
First Night Ride

Just got back from my first time riding at night. I definitely could have picked a better night to ride, because it was a nice brisk 49 degrees. BTW, anyone who rides in the cold should pick up an Arctiva balaclava. Well worth the money.

I gotta say, I was quite impressed with the GZs head light. I rode with the high beam on most of the time, and I'd say its right up there with the lights on my car.

All in all riding at night wasn't as bad as I'd suspected. Other than a few stretches where deer like to run across the road it wasn't so bad. If I end up doing more night riding I really want to get a reflective vest, as well as some reflective tape to stick to my bike. I'm glad I did this, though, because now I'm not as uneasy (though still cautious) about riding in the dark.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
mr. softie

Re: First Night Ride

The reflective stuff is a good idea. I want to add some to my clothing and bike too.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I really like riding at night.

Out here it's cooler (lots of days are in the 80's and higher and in the summer triple digits are not unusual.)

And there's a lot less traffic. Also, I think I am more alert at night. I'm kind of nocturnal.

Best of all, I can always tell when my blinker is on!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Best of all, I can always tell when my blinker is on!
Yes! It's great, isn't it?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Chris

I just don't ride at night unless I have to. Seems simple, but noone can see as clearly at night as they can in the daytime. For me riding is mostly a pleasure and I just don't take the chances at night.

Chris near Atlanta

Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
goneoutflying

Almost half off all my riding is at night. I actually think it is easier to ride at night, no sun blinding you, less traffic etc.

Reflective stuff is good, however I went a step further and added accent lights. I also changed my headlight to the blue light which really helps, especially if you have to ride in the rain at night.

My next step is changing my taillight and turn signals to the LEDs which are a lot brighter.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneoutflying
Almost half off all my riding is at night. I actually think it is easier to ride at night, no sun blinding you, less traffic etc.

Reflective stuff is good, however I went a step further and added accent lights. I also changed my headlight to the blue light which really helps, especially if you have to ride in the rain at night.

My next step is changing my taillight and turn signals to the LEDs which are a lot brighter.
You will have to change the flasher too if you go to LED bulbs in the signals. The OEM flasher works on a specific load. Led's will not give it the load to operate properly.
Also, if I was to do a lot of night riding on a GZ I would add a smaller driving light to the front somewhere. My reasoning is for safety. Just imagine the headlight suddenly going out and leaving you in darkness. A small lower power driving light would keep you oriented in the right direction while you flip the headlight to the other beam. The GZ can power 2 20 watt MR-11 halogen bulbs which will be more than adequate in cases of emergency. Yah, I know I sound paranoid.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom

I had my first night ride recently...some friends and I went to our universitys football game Sat. night here in town. There were 3 of us riding and it was very cold (which in south louisiana means in the 50's) It was fun, but a bit scary! We had great parking for the game! And to top it off, we won....lol.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneoutflying

You will have to change the flasher too if you go to LED bulbs in the signals. The OEM flasher works on a specific load. Led's will not give it the load to operate properly.
Also, if I was to do a lot of night riding on a GZ I would add a smaller driving light to the front somewhere. My reasoning is for safety. Just imagine the headlight suddenly going out and leaving you in darkness. A small lower power driving light would keep you oriented in the right direction while you flip the headlight to the other beam. The GZ can power 2 20 watt MR-11 halogen bulbs which will be more than adequate in cases of emergency. Yah, I know I sound paranoid.

Just a follow up on what I posted earlier. Was in Wally World, Bellingham Washington today and found some sweet smaller driving lights. Made by Optronics/Platinum Burners Series. 2 chrome round lights with 50 watt MR-16 halogen bulbs. Swap out the bulbs for 20 watt units and go night riding. These would give you a greater presence on the road day or night. And best of all...........$16 will get the lights, wiring and switch. Add in a few $ for a relay and inline fuse. A cheap but functional mod.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
And best of all...........$16 will get the lights, wiring and switch. Add in a few $ for a relay and inline fuse. A cheap but functional mod.
And if you don't mind using them in the "manual mode", you don't need a relay.
You would have to add in the cost of the replacement bulbs.

Just incase someone is reading this who hasn't read the threads about electrical load:
Two EXTRA 50 watt bulbs (100 watts total) exceeds (or very nearly exceeds) the capacity of the battery/charging system. Two 20 watt bulbs, however, is well within the capacity. YOU MUST CHANGE THE BULBS. :cool: