Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Victoria

I'm growing some---

Hi all this is my first post. Its been 6 months since I got my "M" on my license. Yesterday, I put my gear on and for the first time took my bike (2007 gz250) out for a 20 minute ride. I was nervous but determined and very careful. I just kept to the side roads and worked on my skills. I think i am content to do this for a while until I have mastered all the skills. Those that don't know I am is direct violation of my in-laws who live next door. They are completely against their 41 year old daughter-in-law riding a motorcycle and are vocal about it. I am still in the process of "growing my balls" and I took off on my bike when I knew they weren't home, although I didn't know when they were getting back so I think that may be a bit "ballsy" on my end. Its just a matter of time until they catch me and I just need to let them know its none of their business--very hard for me since I have always been the type to want to make others happy and not be confrontational. This just may be healthy for me.
As for my husband he was surprisingly "OK". I called him before i left and he just said," please be careful". He still wants me to sell the bike and get something "smaller". like a 50cc moped---NO WAY!
I am hoping to get out again today or tomorrow.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
alantf

Re: I'm growing some---

Hi there, & welcome to the riding community. I'm really furious that some people ( your in laws) think that they have the right to treat a grown person as though she were a child, & try to make her conform to their wishes. I reckon that the first thing to do is learn the following by heart, & repeat it to them every time they try to make you bend to their will - "GO F**K YOURSELF" :roll:
Old 04-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Victoria

Thanks! I will surely keep that in mind. LOL

Old 04-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria
I am hoping to get out again today or tomorrow.
Welcome!

It's been said before on here but bears repeating:
NOW is the time in your riding career where you need to find an empty parking lot (churches are good during the week) and practice your basic skills OUT OF TRAFFIC. It is also good to do this at the beginning of each riding season.

Don't stay TOO close to the side of the road as that shoulder drop off ......or the dip of a curb/gutter can throw you for a loop if you drift TOO far to the right.

The best revenge on the nay-sayers is to ride without an accident !!!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
dhgeyer

I just read your bio. Nice looking bike, even for a GZ250, which generally are good looking. I think you're old enough to make up your own mind about riding. I'm going to assume that you got your license by taking the BRC. In some states it's the only way. Anyway, if it's been 6 months since you took the course, and you haven't ridden since then, then I second Easy Rider's advice: find a parking lot and start to rebuild your skills and confidence. See if you can dig up the booklet from the course, and go through that again, too. That course crams so much into so little time, I've found that most people have forgotten most of it in a few months, especially if they're not using it.

While you're at it, get "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough - available at Amazon.com. That's a book that can easily save your life.

Staying on the side roads for a while is good. Riding too close to the shoulder is not. You have to assert your lane or you'll end up getting run off the road. If you're too close to the side, people can't see you. In the course they taught you to spend most of your time in the left third of your lane for visibility. That's my basic position, although I move around a lot based on cornering technique, traffic, surface conditions, etc. etc. etc.

Riding has risk involved, but for most of us it is so rewarding that it is worth it.

I personally advocate the safest safety gear you can get: DOT and Snell approved full face helmet, good quality motorcycle jacket with full protective padding including the new backbone protectors, motorcycle specific gloves, and good solid boots. But that's up to you of course.

Welcome to this funhouse by the way!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Victoria

I have a church parking lot that I can get to via the back roads about 5 blocks away. I can't trailer it but i can stay out of the traffic. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Victoria

dhgeyer,
I have motorcycle excellence book that is the same format as the MSF course I took. I will also post some pics of me in my gear. I think I got some good stuff.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Victoria

I just added my gear to my website---you can check it out if you like.
http://attitudeallmyown.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
blaine

Welcome Victoria,be careful ,ride safe.All you need to do now is talk your husband into buying a bike. :2tup:

Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
SuziQ07

Hi Victoria and Welcome!
I'm a 34 year old female and new rider as well. I purchased a blue 2007 GZ250 a few weeks ago. I've only been practicing in parking lots and side streets over the last several weeks. I love my new bike and new found freedom as well! My father has been helping me with this new stage in my life thus far (my husband has no interest). I personally do not know any other females that have their motorcycle license and ride. Your bike is super nice and I love your extra accessories! Your jacket is lovely too! I'm still shopping and considering different options for jackets...leather and textiles etc. As a female I'm really proud to be riding a motorcycle and doing something that other women only dream of doing. Best wishes to you and enjoy your new "Blue Beauty!" :2tup: