Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
BillInGA

Re: I'm growing some---

Welcome aboard, Vicki!

Good looking bike and good looking gear. You didn't mention it, but I presume you have gloves as well?

:rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Mercutio57

Hey, at age 52 I still haven't told my mother that I have a motorcycle, and it's been about a year now. She's always been a nervous person, and I can't imagine here ever sleeping the night again if she knew!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio57
Hey, at age 52 I still haven't told my mother that I have a motorcycle, and it's been about a year now. She's always been a nervous person, and I can't imagine here ever sleeping the night again if she knew!

My mom is the same way, me and both of my older sisters ride, and all she asks is that we tell her about our rides, AFTER we go on them. I accidently broke this rule and told her about a little trip I was going on last weekend and she griped me out, she said she can handle hearing about it afterwards because we are already back safe and sound.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
Victoria

Thanks Bill, I have 2. My first pair was too thin. I fell during the MSF course and quickly realized this, My new pair are well padded in the palm and a little better quality. They are also pink and black and match my jacket nicely (wink).

Thanks for all the support. My mom is great with all this and thinks its a shame. She got cornered by my mother in-law who grilled her, how could she allow me to get a motorcycle. I have a great picture of my grandmother on her motorcycle. I gotta get that picture and see if I can figure out what type of bike she had.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
dhgeyer

I am not familiar with the Scorpion brand, but I looked up the specs on the web. Looks like you made good choices. Does the jacket have a foam back protector in it? I may look into this brand, as we have to re-outfit my daughter. Anyway, I'd say you're off to a great start!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
burkbuilds

Other people's reactions when they find out you ride a motorcycle is always interesting. My mom doesn't like it much but she's known me long enough to know that if she objected out loud I'd ride just to show her that she's not going to tell me what to do. (She's 75 by the way). When I told my wife I was going to buy a bike a few years ago (I had not had one since we got married over 25 years ago), she simply told me to make sure my life insurance was paid up and to get the accident rider on my motorcycle insurance to help with medical expenses in case of an accident. (She won't ride with me.) My oldest daughter was excited and wanted to go for a ride with me the next time she was in town, she loved it and then she and her husband went out and bought motorcycles. My youngest daughter rode double with me for almost a year and then my wife decided that she couldn't ride with me anymore and there wouldn't be any discussion about it. When I tried to talk to her about it, she took all my clothes and stuff and threw them out on the driveway, . . . so my youngest daughter doesn't ride with me anymore and we don't talk about it. My middle daughter thinks I'm crazy and she refuses to even consider going on a ride.

Be yourself and enjoy riding!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

I think I posted about this somewhere else, but basically, I generally agree with the naysayers (that it is dangerous, and I probably will eventually kill myself or get seriously injured) but I'm bored, it's fun and my best years are behind me anyway. I think people mean well, but it's hard for them to understand that some of us want to take risks and experience more of what life has to offer, knowing that sooner or later, it's gonna be over regardless of how cautious you approach it.

I think burkbuilds wife has the right idea - make sure your dependents and medical bills are taken care of and have fun.

It appears you are overly cautious anyway, but it is smart to take things slowly and build good habits as you are starting out. You'll feel much less nervous as time goes on, but you want to retain some healthy vigilance and respect for the risks and dangers. If you make it through your first year unscathed, which you probably will, your friends and family will be less uptight about it.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
blaine

Its dangerous leaving your house in the morning,that doesn't mean you don't live life.RIDE ON!!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I think I posted about this somewhere else, but basically, I generally agree with the naysayers (that it is dangerous, and I probably will eventually kill myself or get seriously injured) but I'm bored, it's fun and my best years are behind me anyway. I think people mean well, but it's hard for them to understand that some of us want to take risks and experience more of what life has to offer, knowing that sooner or later, it's gonna be over regardless of how cautious you approach it.
:plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :smallrawk:
Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #20
Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I am not familiar with the Scorpion brand, but I looked up the specs on the web. Looks like you made good choices. Does the jacket have a foam back protector in it?
Here is a link to the jacket with a video. Yes it has the foam back protector. I hope this helps. BTW I am a medium and the large fits snug.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... acket.aspx

Vicki