Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
dentheman

I don't have a motorcycle, YET!

Hello, i just joined, though I have been lurking for a while. I have no experience with motorcycles so I am researching to find the one best suited for me. This site has already answered several questions I have had in my search for the best bike. Right now I am leaning toward the GZ 250, but also considering the v-star 250 and Rebel. I will be taking the MSF course in Sept. or Oct. You have a great site here (I have not found a similar v star 250 or Rebel site), and I hope to have some meaningful participation in the next few months; To help me decide!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
music man

Re: I don't have a motorcycle, YET!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENTHEMAN
Hello, i just joined, though I have been lurking for a while. I have no experience with motorcycles so I am researching to find the one best suited for me. This site has already answered several questions I have had in my search for the best bike. Right now I am leaning toward the GZ 250, but also considering the v-star 250 and Rebel. I will be taking the MSF course in Sept. or Oct. You have a great site here (I have not found a similar v star 250 or Rebel site), and I hope to have some meaningful participation in the next few months; To help me decide!

Welcome to the site. :2tup: . First important conversation, how tall are you? because that can make a big difference in which one of those bikes you want.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
dentheman

Thanks, I am 5' 10", from what I have read in reviews I think that rules out the Rebel, but I have not had the chance to try (or even sit on) any motorcycle.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
music man

Maybe not. You might want to sit on one and find out, I am 6'1"ish and I have sat on a Rebel, and it is quite cramped, but I have never ridden one, (actually I have, but I was about 16 and it was a rebel 450, wish I had one of those.)
Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
blaine

Welcome,good luck with whatever bike you choose.The G.Z. is easier to maintain because of it being a single cylinder.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
dentheman

Yes, that is one reason I am leaning toward the GZ. Lower maintenance and less maintenance and operation cost. Another thing is that the v star takes premium gas while the GZ runs fine on regular, from what I have read.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

The GZ is the biggest physically for a rider to get comfy on. The Rebel has the GZ beat in shear numbers but also has a factory bug built into the tranny that shows up in most of them. Lynda had one during her rider training and developed a real hatred for the tranny. The one thing that really makes me wonder about the Rebel is the fact that there is no oil filter to change. Strikes me as less than Stone Age technology but that is the corporate dicision from Honda. Not knocking Honda because they do build good bikes but really there should be a couple improvements to make the bike really bullet proof.
The baby Virago is okay, I did ride one during our training. I would imagine(speculation here)the little V-twin would be a bit more to maintain than the Rebel or GZ. It also has a smallish tank so a longer ride might involve more gas stops.
All 3 bikes are great starter bikes and ideal for anyone not wanting or needing to go bigger. Whatever you get we are glad to have you join us and say hello.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENTHEMAN
Yes, that is one reason I am leaning toward the GZ.
And don't overlook the TU 250.....which has the same engine as the GZ but with fuel injection and a "standard" riding posture instead of the cruiser style of the GZ.

Used will probably be pretty much non-existent for a while as they just became available in North America last year.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
MLGTIB

Welcome to the group. I have had my GZ since September and when i first got it i put regular gas in it and it rode weird. I took it to the shop and they told me to use only premium in a bike. Since I started using the premium I have never had a problem. The GZ is my first bike and I love it. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGTIB
I have had my GZ since September and when i first got it i put regular gas in it and it rode weird. I took it to the shop and they told me to use only premium in a bike.
Very strange! Doesn't the shop know anything about high compression engines versus low compression engines? The GZ is the latter, and as such is designed to run on the cheapest fuel. All the premium (& therefore more expensive) fuel does is to contain a retarder, which is needed on high compression engines, to stop premature ignition, due to the high compression. This is making no sense to me at all, so perhaps someone with much more expertise than me can jump in & explain why the premium fuel makes the bike run better.( Thought - "could there be a problem with the ignition timing of the bike?") :??: