Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #21
mrlmd1

Re: Hello

"Battery Tender" is a specific brand name but is also used to represent a host of generic battery tenders or maintainers or trickle chargers or whatever you want to call them. Sort of like Kleenex meaning any tissue.
Patrick - you are quoting something from a Battery Tender "charger", which is not what I am talking about in the previous post or in the previous sentence.
And ER - this is all relative to price, and is a matter of semantics, but a trickle charger and a regular charger are different because of their outputs and intended uses, but they can be used interchangeably if you pay attention to what you are doing and are aware of the limitations or indications for each. So we are all talking about the same thing but using slightly different languages. It's just that when someone has a dead battery, and this really applies to the small batteries in our bikes, (it probably would never work for a car battery), but a real charger is better than an inexpensive maintainer or trickle charger to bring the battery up to speed. Unless you want to wait a few days, and that the owner may not be aware of. Is that OK now, or is there more controversy or discussion necessary about this? And you basically said the same thing I did but you had to do it in your own words. :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Patrick - you are quoting something from a Battery Tender "charger", which is not what I am talking about in the previous post or in the previous sentence.

And you basically said the same thing I did but you had to do it in your own words. :??:
Yes, by all means, let's drop it because you just aren't going to admit that your first post was anything but perfect no matter HOW long we discuss it.

You started out by saying "A battery tender is not the same as a charger". and then went on to say things that left the impression that they are entirely different things......when they are NOT.

A battery tender IS also a charger.....but with additional features. They refer to the unit in question as a battery tender "charger" because it IS A CHARGER, just a specialized one.
All "tenders" are chargers; all chargers are not tenders.

Your back-pedaling was very effective in explaining that you seem to know what is what......but your first message did a very poor job of expressing it. Further, it really did nothing to answer the original question. The proper answer is YES; you seemed to be going for NO.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Let's all go out for ice cream now.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
mrlmd1

"They refer to the unit in question as a battery tender "charger" because it IS A CHARGER, just a specialized one.
All "tenders" are chargers; all chargers are not tenders."

WTF is the matter with you? Here we go again. Pick on a word or two, ignore the concept of what is being said. Jump in with another worthless post just to have to say something. Again,
It's like me saying red and blue are not the same thing and you saying that they are - they are both colors, but they are different.
You are always right, you are the perfect one as usual. Others are wrong. Not really, but I said it anyway.

I'm going out with WW for ice cream. you do what you want. Finish this by yourself.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #25
5th_bike

Hey skeet welcome to the forum ! :rawk: :2tup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Just checked the rating of my little charger/tender (that I've never had to use, yet) It says 0.6 amp. Do you think that's o.k if I have to charge up a flat(ish) or new battery, in the future? :??:
I recently got a new battery for my GZ250, type YTLX7 and the instructions said said that after filling with acid, to charge it with a 1 amp charger for about 6 hours (or 3? can't find them now...), until the current goes below 0.3 amp (remembered that one OK, that's for sure).
So, I bought a 1 amp charger at Advanced Auto.
The charging started at 1 amp. After several hours the charging current had dropped below 0.3 amp. Done.

And now the answer to your question: Yes. If you use another charger, the charge time will just change reciprocally (i.e. about 12 hours for an 0.5 amp charger, and about 3 hours for a 2 amp charger). I would scale the ending current linearly and stop charging when a 2 amp charger goes under 0.6 amps, and for your case, a 0.6 amp charger, when the current goes below 0.18 amps. If that should not happen after 10-12 hours (what do I know... :retard stop if it is lower than 0.3 amps by then.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #26
GZBrian

Hi Skeet, and welcome. I will use a Battery Tender Junior for My GZ25. I use it for my older Kawasaki 125 Eliminator, but have not used it for the GZ yet. I didn't leave it plugged in all the time. I used it during the day, and checked on it from time to time. I don't like to leave it on all the time. I used to use a trickle charger, but like the Tender Junior better. Trickle never told me I was charged and never backed off. The Tender makes it easier with the lights on it. There is also a tender (like) charge from Yusasa, but I don't remember what model it was. Again, welcome and you will find a lot of good info here. GZ Brian
Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #27
Easy Rider

Quote:
You are always right, you are the perfect one as usual. Others are wrong. Not really, but I said it anyway.
Good job of "projection" but I ain't buying it .

So far, in this thread, the vote seems to be about 4 to 0 against your original post, yet you keep doggedly defending yourself. Whom is it that always has to be right ???

How about addressing the actual ISSUE at hand instead of resorting to name calling and personal insults.....yet again.

This IS the point: "The proper answer is YES; you seemed to be going for NO."
Old 05-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #28
mrlmd1

We're having a vote again? And you have tabulated the results? Seems like the common denominator in all of the votes on here is you, and they are not always about conversations with me.
Was this the original question you are referring to? - "Just checked the rating of my little charger/tender (that I've never had to use, yet) It says 0.6 amp. Do you think that's o.k if I have to charge up a flat(ish) or new battery, in the future?" Well, maybe technically you could have your answer as "yes". Or it could be "maybe", if you want to wait for 2 or 3 days to see if it would work, but that is not the ideal right answer even though possibly it might work depending on the state of discharge of the battery. Would you use a 0.6 amp charger to recharge a dead battery, or a higher amp real "charger"?
And just because 2 different things meant for 2 different purposes can have a use that overlaps each other if you stretch them, that doesn't make them the same. You do like to pick on a single word whenever you respond to another post, semantics and intent of the poster don't count.
So carry on, "This IS the point: "The proper answer is YES; you seemed to be going for NO."
I'm out of here, whatever you say is right.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
Would you use a 0.6 amp charger to recharge a dead battery, or a higher amp real "charger"?
If all I have is a .6 amp charger, then YES, that is what I would use. He said "flat(sih) or new", not stone dead. If the battery rating is 10 AH, it would take less than 17 hours.

Quote:
So carry on, "This IS the point: "The proper answer is YES; you seemed to be going for NO."
I'm out of here, whatever you say is right.
Glad you finally saw the light. :tongue:
Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
mrlmd1

Unfortunately you never will.