Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
music man

Re: I bought my first bike today

Quote:
Originally Posted by swistech
Is the carb rebuilt and nice and clean ready to install? Maybe I should buy a brand new onw with no problems...Where can I get a good one for a good price. Maybe one that has been bored out for better performance...

A brand new one will cost you more than you want to mess with I promise you, and the carb I have came off a perfect running bike, the only reason I took it off is I had bought one off of here on the cheap just to have to take apart and learn the inner workings of the GZ carb without tearing into mine, and I had done the needle shim and all that to the one I bought, so I slapped it on my bike, and just never took it back off, so actually the one I have is off of my bike.

So when I took it off my bike it worked perfectly, now what that means as far as right this second is anyone's guess, but I thought I would offer anyways.

And the other members are right, not only do you not "bore out" a carb, without modding the engine, air filter, etc..... a "higher performance" carb is just going to dump more fuel where it is not needed.

There is really nothing you can do to the GZ to get any REAL power gains, you can change the sprocket and do a needle shim, but all that stuff does is change the rideability of it, NOT give you any significant change in power.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #22
swistech

Thanks Blaine I will do the 4 mods... carb ~ air filter ~ exhaust ~ 16T sproket to make the bike perform at its best.
Music Man: Alright that sounds like a plan...how much do you want for the carb on the cheap? I will send you the payment Via paypal if the price is right.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #23
ncff07

If it aint broke dont fix it. :poke2:

Old 05-30-2010, 02:50 AM   #24
swistech

"You don't "bore them out".
Easy Rider... In machine shop lingo....when you increase the size of a hole ( or port on a carb) we say it has been "bored" meaning to have increased the inside diameter or ID. I found this Kit for sale
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT
Installing a jet kit in your carb
Kit Includes
Main Jets
Needle Adjusters
Nylon Spacers
Drill Bits for
Slide Hole Modification
Idle Mixture Modification
Slide Spring Modification
Bike Specs
Carb Schematic

Is it worth the effort and the money?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #25
blaine

Answered your question in other post.'I need a carb"

Old 05-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
Is it worth the effort and the money?
Don't know. How much $$$ ??

I'm guessing that the result might be similar to what has already been described here with the jet and needle changes.

If it is made specifically for the GZ, the go for it. You would be doing the community here a great service by being the first one to try it.

If it is NOT made specifically for the GZ, then forget it.

P.S. Yes, I KNOW what "boring out" means......and the term is NOT commonly used when talking about carbs. :tongue:
Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
mole2

Welcome aboard and ride safe! As someone else said....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #28
swistech

Yes the kit is made to order. (read below)
The stock carburetor from the factory is designed to meet Import Regulations ... not peak performance. Once you install or modify an exhaust or intake, you have put your bike into a leaner condition that will eventually destroy your engine due to heat from running lean. If you notice any popping, you are extremely lean. Our jet kit provides the parts and installation instructions to enrich all the circuits in the carb, to fix this problem, and add performance you can feel in the seat.

This is not just some jets in a bag, it is a comprehensive jet kit, addressing all throttle positions, throttle response, and each kit is custom made to your bike and its modifications. Replacing just the jets does not address 1/4-3/4 throttle, or throttle response, only full throttle. This Kit is for all throttle positions, and throttle response.

Please let us know year, exact model, level of modification, and altitude, so we can tailor our kit to the needs of your bike. All of these factors affect kit design.

I am purchasing MusicMans carb and putting this kit on it.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
swistech

The cost is 39.50 + shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-G ... ccessories
Old 05-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
I am purchasing MusicMans carb and putting this kit on it.
Except for the fact that we trust MM with our life........... :roll:
THAT is not a good plan.

You have an unknown carb and THEN you are modifying it. If it doesn't work out right, you will not know if the problem is in the original carb OR in the work you did with the mod.

If you insist on doing it that way, you should put the replacement carb ON THE BIKE first to be sure it is in basically good working condition........and then you can go about modifying it. Actually, at that point, you could put the kit into your original carb.......or does it have a problem; I forget. :cool:

P.S. I don't think $40 is a bad price for a kit like that. Others here may be interested too.