Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: New Rider, First Bike & Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
Hello,
In my opinion, that seems like a rather reasonable price for a bike with such low mileage. I would not be too worried about the dent in the tank, as it's just cosmetic. It depends on how much it bothers you. I have a dent in my tank from the previous owner as well. At some point I may do some body work. It would be very important to carefully examine the tires and look for wear, cracks, and rot etc. You could find some used motorcycle accessories and gear on http://www.craigslist.com. I also agree that buying a used helmet is never a good idea. At my local Harley-Davidson shop two people dropped helmets as they were shopping. The store clerks had to take them off the shelves, as they can not be sold as new at this point. She said just a drop on the floor could comprise the safety of the helmet and there may be unseen damage on the inside.
Good luck to you!
It is very unlikely the dropped helmets were damaged in any way. Possibly the finish was marked but nothing more. What you do have to worry about is a used helmet that has had an impact with a head in it and the protective material inside the helmet being deformed. It will no longer serve it's designed purpose. The dropped helmets were probably later sold as new but discounted due to the finish being marred. A helmet shell itself is quite robust and can take a lot of banging around without being comprimised.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
blaine

Most manufacturers state that if helmet is dropped not to wear it as it can have unseen damage."SNELL" states that helmet dropped from 2 feet on a hard surface such concrete or hardwood will not protect in a accident.They state that helmets dropped have unseen stress fractures.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
mole2

Welcome aboard and ride safe! My only little bit of advice is NO used helmet and, having come from LI, I wouldn't try that ride back to NYC as a newbie. Between the traffic and bridges it would be a hell of a ride.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Most manufacturers state that if helmet is dropped not to wear it as it can have unseen damage."SNELL" states that helmet dropped from 2 feet on a hard surface such concrete or hardwood will not protect in a accident.They state that helmets dropped have unseen stress fractures.
We will have to agree to disagree on that. If a 2 foot drop will cause damage to a helmet then #1 I don't want that product line, #2 the manufacturers better get their act together and do something.

If a helmet was replaced everytime it fell off a bike, rolled off a chair or slipped out of hand there would be very few riders. Nobody could afford to ride.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree on that. If a 2 foot drop will cause damage to a helmet then #1 I don't want that product line, #2 the manufacturers better get their act together and do something.

If a helmet was replaced everytime it fell off a bike, rolled off a chair or slipped out of hand there would be very few riders. Nobody could afford to ride.
I don't agree with it.I am stating what manufactures and safety councils say.I too have dropped my helmet and don't intend to run out and buy a new one.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
5th_bike

Welcome to the forum ! :rawk:

If you didn't know already, the dent in your tank is from being dropped on its left side, it's the imprint from the left turn signal.
I have a similar dent on the right side, from the PO. Funny, mine needed a jump start too when I first saw it, from lack of use. It had 35 miles on it and was 2 years old when I got it.

The bike looks like a good deal to me. Do count on spending a similar amount or maybe more, on new parts and accessories. Drive it home if you feel confident, but have someone follow you in a car if at all possible.

Check it before you take off, um, I forgot the acronym of the checklist, was it "S T A R T" ? Anyways, just Google "Motorcycle checklist before you ride" or similar.

Have fun ! :2tup:
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
SuziQ07

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:

I don't agree with it.I am stating what manufactures and safety councils say.I too have dropped my helmet and don't intend to run out and buy a new one.

I don't necessarily agree with it either, however that is what the manufacture says. And I know for a fact that Harley will not sell a helmet that a customer drops on the floor because it may have unseen damage. There is nothing to debate...do the research, and you will find out the same thing. The bottom line is this: buy a brand new helmet when purchasing a bike. It's like buying a used car seat for your baby.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Some manufacturers will X-ray your helmet for you if you send it to them. Can't recall which ones do this service but it would be a goodwill service and probably builds a good relationship with customers. If possible always have a back-up helmet in the wings if your regular lid is in doubt. As soon as my back-up turns 5 years old it gets junked and the primary becomes a back-up when a new lid is purchased.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
blaine

It boils down to always buy your helmet new,that way you know the history of the helmet.If you drop it you know if you feel comfortable to continue using it.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
kedebrav00

Hey Guys, hope all is well. I got my license last week Monday.
I've clocked in about 20 miles on my GZ so far, I plan on riding to and from work on a daily basis.

I live in NYC and I have a question for anyone who rides in the New York City.
What is the deal with parking a bike on the sidewalk or on the street.2. Whats a good