Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hai Guys!

Pretty scary weather Alantf. Is this the first time for extreme weather for you on the island ? Stay away from the windows, you never know what the wind will turn into a missile.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Is this the first time for extreme weather for you on the island ?
Last February we had a typhoon, but that just brought the rains that swept the mud & debris down off the mountains, along the barrancos (dried river beds carved out of the mountains by the lava from the erupting mount Teide) & buried the roads under tons of mud - washing the cars along with it.
We get high winds, frequently, in the part of the mountains where we live, but nothing with the ferocity of this storm. The other islands are now on orange alert, but Tenerife is still on red. The power has been on & off all day, but it's just come back on, so I hope it stays on (it's 7 pm & dark out). I heard that the big shopping mall near us closed today, & people are saying that it's the first time in their memory that it's happened. Just hope it blows itself out by tomorrow, like they're forecasting, before it does any more damage.
Just seen, on the news, the cause of the power cuts. Pylons supporting the overhead lines brought crashing down, & someone took a home video of a giant tower crane on a building site come crashing down. Luckily no one was hurt. People reckon it's the fiercest storm in living memory.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Wow, worst in living memory. That does sound severe. Let's hope nobody gets hurt or killed and the bloody blows itself out. Tke care of yourself.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #24
alantf

Well......... You wouldn't believe the weather today! It's like a summer's day. I walked down to the village earlier, to get our lottery tickets. I'd
put a thick shirt on, & by the time I got home I was sweating. Something seriously weird is happening to the weather. :??:
Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, was just thinking of you as I was logging on. Glad to hear things are a lot less violent out there. I would imagine there will be a clean up in full swing for a while. NOW I want some of your weather. :2tup:

Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
alantf

And now my mate in Western Australia has e-mailed me some photos of the bush fires in Secret Harbour, near Perth. Talk about "from the sublime to the ridiculous" He says they're just across the road from him.[attachment=2:21tkewez]097725-golden-bay-fire.jpg[/attachment:21tkewez][attachment=1:21tkewez]560015-golden-bay-fire.jpg[/attachment:21tkewez][attachment=0:21tkewez]559517-golden-bay-fire.jpg[/attachment:21tkewez]
Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Fire is Nature's way of renewing herself but it sure is scary for those involved. Hope your mate doesn't have to run for his life.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #28
cayuse

Great shot of the Air Tractor in the first photo! Conair flies those (many times right over my neighbourhood) out of my local airport to fight the fires we get in western Canada. WW, do you ever see the Martin Mars flying by up your way?

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #29
Water Warrior 2

I have seen a few tankers but mostly helicopters. They are pretty handy in the more mountainess areas just north of here. A couple years ago I watches helicopters trying to put out the flaming mountain in Lillooet. They were dipping their buckets in the res. just beside the mountain and never getting out of sight.