Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Red Mosquito7

Hello from South Texas

Hello,

I just bought a 2002 Suzuki GZ250 yesterday and I love it. I passed the MSF course a few months ago and finally saved up enough cash to buy a bike. I went with the GZ250 for three reasons: 1. Cheap! 2. Same bike I rode on the MSF course so it has a special place in my heart 3. Figured it would be a good place to start since I'm new to motorcycles.

I've only ridden about 20 miles so far because of work and I'm not comfortable taking it out on the highway but it's been a blast so far. Hell, I'm still getting the hang of downshifting when slowing down (felt the rear tire skid a little once). I can't wait for the weekend so I can get up early and get some riding time to practice more.

I stumbled onto this site when I was searching for a place to find a panel that covers the battery. It was missing when I bought it. I found a thread on here discussing just that topic, but ended up finding many other interesting topics. Well, I look forward to meeting some fellow GZ250 owners! Peace.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Hello from South Texas

Welcome to the family.Lots to learn from this site and lots of people willing to help.Take your time don't get in a rush.If you haven't already,invest in some gear,jacket,boots & gloves.Any questions,just ask.Ride safe.
:cool:

Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Gz Rider

Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider

I never took a motorcycle course myself. Maybe I down shift wrong. When I down shift, I hold the clutch in and shift down as my speed decreases, never re engaging the clutch so I would not have an opportunity to skid (unless the clutch cable breaks, which happens). To anyone: am I doing it wrong?
You should engage the gears as you down shift,that way you are in the proper gear for the speed of the bike.Also engine compression helps to slow the bike,less wear on the brakes.Also imagine needing to accelerate in a hurry in a panic situation,and letting the clutch in the wrong gear,your going to be in a world of hurt.Motor & transmission should be engaged till your coming to a stop.
:cool:

Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Gz Rider

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
blaine

Check this out. :cool:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3855&hilit=Downshifting

Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Jvacustoms

The main error that I see with riders is the fact that they don't ease the clutch out they just let go slamming the fast moving clutch to the slow engine speed and get jolted forward in a rude manner
Old 10-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
ncff07

i do the same thing. if i see im gonna have to stop i start down shifting and let the engine slow me down engaging the clutch each downshift. i dont usually hit the brakes till i have to come to a complete stop.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

To avoid a jolt when letting out the clutch for engine braking you can just blip the throttle to bring up the RPM a bit. With practice your down shifts will be very smooth. Don't worry about wearing out the clutch, it is very robust and cooled and lubricated by oil. Engine braking will save your brake pads and brake shoes for when you really need them. The Vstrom has over 56,000 kms on the original brakes with this method.