Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
mole2

Re: Hello from South Texas

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
The main error that I see with riders is the fact that they don't ease the clutch out they just let go slamming the fast moving clutch to the slow engine speed and get jolted forward in a rude manner
Yup....use the slip zone to start the slowing and let the clutch out easy. I don't brake until I have to in order to come to a stop. I will use downshifting and brakes in some situations but if I have the room I'll downshift all the way and then brake to a stop.

To GZ Rider - you really should check out the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course). It's one of the best investments in your safety you can make. You'll find you have some bad habits and correct them and build good habits. In the grand scheme of things it's really not much money and you may get a discount on your motorcycle insurance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Gz Rider

Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Don't argue. Most rider training courses are based on the writings and experience of David Hough. He is a tough act to follow.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
Gz Rider

Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Gz Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1iyrdzc1
Don't argue. Most rider training courses are based on the writings and experience of David Hough. He is a tough act to follow.
I won't do things that don't make sense to me. If it cannot be explained to me I start to wonder what's going on. I read the books and that's more than many do. A friend of mine took the beginning and adanvced courses years ago. He wrecked two months after the advanced. On the other hand I am completely self taught with no problems in three years. What does that prove? Nothing. Just saying.[/quote:1iyrdzc1]
I won't try to find fault with your logic. I also was self taught and rode for close to 50 years before taking a good riding course. No crashes or mishaps on the street in all that time. After the course I am a safer, more comfortable, confident rider with a lot of better safer habits to rely on. My bike is a lot easier to ride due to getting rid of bad habits that were always waiting to bite me. You really should try it to see and experience the difference. A good instructor makes a world of difference with the small things that make a bike fun or a bit too much work at times.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
cayuse

Let me ask you something, Gz. Do you ever downshift to power through a turn? Do you ever downshift because you find yourself in slower traffic? Shifting down to a stop is just an extension of this. If you always let out the clutch when you shift, even for a moment, you will always be ENGAGED in the right gear to either engine-brake or speed up. Like several others here, I don't use my brakes much in a lot of my riding.

Coming up to a side-road and you want to make that sharp 90deg turn? If you plan it right (like you should, anyway) you don't need brakes.
Sometimes I'll just tap my brake lever a couple of times to let the cager behind me know I'm slowing down. Besides that, I leave the brakes alone and work the gears. I think it's easier.

just my $.02

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Water Warrior][quote="Gz Rider":1d5cwsfi]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1d5cwsfi
I won't do things that don't make sense to me. If it cannot be explained to me I start to wonder what's going on. I read the books and that's more than many do. A friend of mine took the beginning and adanvced courses years ago. He wrecked two months after the advanced. On the other hand I am completely self taught with no problems in three years. What does that prove? Nothing. Just saying.[/quote:1d5cwsfi]
I won't try to find fault with your logic. I also was self taught and rode for close to 50 years before taking a good riding course. No crashes or mishaps on the street in all that time. After the course I am a safer, more comfortable, confident rider with a lot of better safer habits to rely on. My bike is a lot easier to ride due to getting rid of bad habits that were always waiting to bite me. You really should try it to see and experience the difference. A good instructor makes a world of difference with the small things that make a bike fun instead of a bit too much work at times.[/quote:1d5cwsfi]
There, I fixed my bad wording.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #18
Gz Rider

Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree with our respective methods.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Gz Rider