Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
greatmaul

Re: Good day

Hi and welcome! Definitely better safe than sorry on the tire thing. Losing 50% of your tires is a lot worse than losing just 25% on a car.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #22
Rookie Rider

I hear you Rionna.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #23
Skunkhome

Everyone down here waves, I get waves from HD and Beamers even when I'm on my lowly Honda scooter.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
Sandmonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Good day, eh!

Now take off, hoser.

Glad to have you here.
Glad someone got the reference!

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. I went for my first few longish rides this weekend - put about 300km on the bike. I am now hooked on motorcycles!

I learned a few things too:

1. Be very careful riding in the cold. You can be so excited about yer new bike that you don't realize you are about to lose your fingers. Then you step off the bike, or come to a stoplight, and realize you have mild hypothermia.
2. My bike has a hard time getting down into 1st at stop lights. I took off in 2nd a few times, even though I'd kicked through the gear lever all the way down.
3. The friction point on my clutch is at the extreme end of the lever's travel, ie I barely have to pull in the lever to activate the clutch. This resulted in me shifting up and then revving the hell out of the engine because I thought I had fully released the clutch. Oops.
4. I love doing the wave. So much so that I sometimes concentrate more making sure I wave to the oncoming motorbike than driving my own damn bike! Maybe I'm worried that if I don't wave, they'll think I'm a snob or something.

Anyways, I'm taking the bike to work tomorrow for the first time. Its been a while since I've been this excited about going to work!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
Sandmonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmonkee
Actually I'm in Ontario - we have a motorcycle handbook from the govt that has all that info, and its what I'll eventually have to study to get my full license. I'll be picking that up when I register the bike. But thanks for the suggestion, do you have a link to this msf book?
Motorcycle Safety Foundation Library

Thanks very much mole - lots of great reading material there! I'm gonna dig into this at lunchtimes at work...

Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #26
alantf

Quote:
3. The friction point on my clutch is at the extreme end of the lever's travel, ie I barely have to pull in the lever to activate the clutch. This resulted in me shifting up and then revving the hell out of the engine because I thought I had fully released the clutch. Oops.
This suggests that the cable needs adjusting. It's probably never been adjusted since new, and all cables stretch over time. It should be adjusted so that there is a little free play at the outer end of the clutch lever, before the operating arm at the engine end starts to move. If the adjustment can't be done at the lever end, then you'll have to adjust it first at the engine end. It's a really simple job, and it sounds as though it wants doing before you ride again. You'll notice the difference immediately, & your ride will be much more enjoyable. :2tup:

EDIT:- I've just re read this, & I think I've got it the wrong way round. The cable has been OVER adjusted, so it needs slackening off. The way to do it, & the way to check it, still hold good.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
Sandmonkee

Hey alantf - thats kind of what I figured. I'm guessing I can loosen it off just by turning the knob where the cable goes into the lever, eh?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
Skunkhome

welcome to the site. I like scooters to use for scooting around when I am on the road in my motorhome. They are light enough that i can easily load onto rack on baack of RV.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #29
Skunkhome

your clutch lever should have about 3/8" freeplay at the tip of the lever.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #30
alantf

Quote:
I'm guessing I can loosen it off just by turning the knob where the cable goes into the lever, eh?
Probably. If not, it's easy enough to do at the engine end.