Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #21
LilNinja77

Yeah I'm still trying to refine the whole "spinning" process to battle hills.....as there are more than a few out here in Blacksburg. But the way I figure it, once I get used to the hills, any flat-land riding will be a piece of cake :cool: Is there any trick to becoming comfortable with mixing it up with traffic, or is just something you have to get out there and expose yourself to, hoping that one day you'll be able to stop clinching your jaw and relax a little? :cuss: I wouldn't say I feel like I'm about to get run-over, but it's still not the most comforting feeling in the world.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It's an acquired taste. I still get scared every now and then when you hear a car coming and don't hear them let up on their speed a bit to pass. You'll become ultra-aware of your surroundings and it won't bother you as bad with a little more experience. Honestly, since the bicycle is so quiet and you can hear every rolling tire or roaring motor within a few hundred feet, I feel safer on my bicycle than I do on the motorcycle. You also always have the option of ditching onto the side of the road and you won't be too badly banged up.

Don't let the people who pass by and yell stupid things get to you either.

Also, don't let idiot drivers make you angry. When you let that emoition take over is when you get yourself hurt. A lot of riding a bike on the road is like being on the motorcycle. You'll NEVER win a fight with a car. Just hold your position, hold your composure and remember that you are a vehicle on the road just like the "A" hole in the Escalade.

There are pretty good videos on Youtube about bicycle commuting and they give some pretty good tips and support to novies. Check them just by searching for
"bike commuting" or "bicycle commuting"

OH yeah, wear something reflective or yellow.

That's about it. Like I said, it gets easier the more you do it.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #23
LilNinja77

Damn, this is more addicting than motorcycles! Went ahead and bought a second bike today, for those days where I'm just riding for the joy of riding, not for hauling groceries. Since my other bike is more of a standard-position, this is my sportbike

Rode about 20 miles on it today, smooth as butter, even on the numerous hills along the way. I can already see I'll be needing new brakes relatively soon though......that thing picks up so much speed and requires such hard braking as a result. Luckily there are several nice bike-shops in town that offer pretty cheap-services. Now I just need to bring my mountain bike up here and hit the trails. As it is when you walk in to my apartment the first thing you see are three bikes leaned against the wall (my 2 and my mothers', for when she comes to visit).......now I'm mad that back home there isn't anywhere to bicycle, the house is directly off of 58.......leave the driveway and the speed limit is 60 mph :mad: I can count the number of bicycles I've seen back in Suffolk on one hand, and they were all downtown.....no thank you I don't think I'll be riding through there
Ride safe

Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #24
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I thought about the Varsity once. I even sat on one. They only come in one size and I was too tall for it. It's good to see you getting into it. Now just add some panniers (that's bicycle talk for saddlebags) and start riding to work.

I'll go ahead and suggest letting your local bike shop set the bike up for you. LEt them look it over and replace some of the cheap walmart parts with good quality stuff, like brake pads. Your bike will last much longer like that and you'll enjoy the ride even more.

www.bikenashbar.com

That website is heaven
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #25
LilNinja77

Hey thanks for the link, I'll have to get familiar with it some Actually I went ahead and stopped by one of the local bike shops today to pick up a good quality air pump......those cheapy Wally-world ones don't cut it for these 100 psi tires. They replaced the tube in my front tire with some racing tube (it was pinched and wasn't holding air properly), he told me the name and I just can't remember it right now, supposed to be more durable. Was already thinking of getting them to upgrade the brakes and set the chain at a good tension.....go figure, I'm completely fine playing with the chain on my Ninja, but don't feel comfortable messing with my bicycle chain :blush: This is definitely more addicting than I originally anticipated!

I've got the action-packer on the Magellan, and one of those little under-seat bags on the Varsity. Obviously I can always carry a backpack, but you know better than I do how sweaty that can get. Besides, I normally am already wearing my Camelback.
Ride safe

Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Sounds like you've got a plan. Keep at it.

I've found that bicycle maintenance has actually helped in my understanding of motorcycles. The only difference is that when things are out of adjustment with a bicycle chain, the whole shifting system suffers. I don't feel comfortable with the chain either, but I can do derailleur adjustments no problem.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

When I retired 3 years ago and moved to the West Coast I brought my bike with me rather than just give it away for a song. Great weather and scenery here so I road a lot. Three months later I bought my Suzuki. Guess which one gets ridden the most ??