Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
Regular Guy

Just thought I would mentionagain to make it clear. I purposely increased the angle of the windshield to give me more rain protection for winter riding, and it did. If you mount using the slotted adjustment that comes witht the shield you can have 30-45 degree mount and less drag. Incidently, I notice no negative affects on steering vs previous 45 degree installation and can still make 70 mph (depending on head winds) but I travel the speed limits which in my area tops at 65. I chose this style because I had a stick to handlebar mount before on my KZ750 and my GS850, both were crap. so I went for something different. I like it becasue it is sturdy and leaves my bars uncluttered. I can fully understand why it may not be everyone's "cup of tea".

Enjoyed all the feedback.
Ride safe![/i][/quote]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Guy
Just thought I would mentionagain to make it clear. I purposely increased the angle of the windshield to give me more rain protection for winter riding, and it did.
Well, it must not be perfectly straight up then because a shield that is totally vertical will give LESS protection 'cause the wind will rush over the top and right down on your chest. An angle about 20-30 degrees is usually best but it does depend on the shape of the shield. You need a good streamlined flow UP the shield and OVER your head.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Regular Guy

Ok, I understand you wouldn,t put it on your bike. I got no problems with that, I like mine and I don't care if anyone else trys one or not, it's all good, however I think in fairness to all readers we should stick to the facts and results, not theory and opinion. Facts: 1) Its is now vertical (I can't tell if it is perfect straight or not, but I would say not perfect, maybe near perfect, since I probably have never done anything perfect. 2) It does not spill over and hit me in the chest. 3) Does cause more drag than previous mount at 45 degrees. It took 5-8 miles off my top end. 4) I seldom travel over the speed limit since I am long past the age of immortality, but have had it up to 82 mph (best ever speed test) with no noticable bad control affectsor instability. That said I really don't care how it reacts above 70 since that is the maximum speed limit in my area, anyways, I think you look at the bikes designed to cruise over these speeds you will notice the windshields are about two hands high anyways, so what is your point?

Why it does not do like you predict, I can't say, that is theory, opinion. It does have a reverse curve at the top of the shield, perhaps that helps to direct the wind higher (I actually read that as a l claim, not on this shield, but on another in JC Whitney that had a similar design). Fact: this shield's attachs lower than a bar mounted shield. What that does for you I can't say. Maybe a lower center of resistance to the steering and it is easy to see over (opinion)
Finally, I will say that I would buy it again, and unfortunately I am re-ordering now, since my bike fell off the side stand while on a limestone driveway soft from rains. It took out a chunk of the bottom left side. Maybe in theory if it were a different kind it would not have broken. If anyone cares to test that out that theory please report back the actual results. Good news though is it still works well in the rain, even with the chunk missing. We've beat this topic to death, don't you think (big white flag waving). If some one actually wants more information to buy or needs help to install one I would be glad to offer whatever help I can, otherwise, I offline on this topic guys.[/img]

Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Guy
Ok, I understand you wouldn,t put it on your bike. I got no problems with that, I like mine and I don't care if anyone else trys one or not, it's all good, however I think in fairness to all readers we should stick to the facts and results, not theory and opinion.
Ok, it's obvious that you are happy with what you have and that's good.

I actually liked the coverage of the shield you've got (What's the height?) but I certainly wouldn't mount it EITHER at 45 degrees OR at 0 degrees. The fact is that every bike shield ever made works best at a slight angle......somewhere between 0 and 45 back from vertical. On some, this "rake" is part of the profile but on most it's a matter of how it is mounted. Yours might work even better at a SLIGHT angle.

I got the impression from you that (with the present mount points) more tilt would be difficult to achieve and that one fact turned me off to it. My understanding of that may be in error; if a 15-20 degree tilt could be easily accomplished, I would be seriously interested.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

If that windshield keeps the rain at bay you have a winner.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
Regular Guy

The Shield is 17 inches high. I does a good job of sheding most of the rain from top of helmet to waist height and I am 5' 10". I have stuck my hand up to feel where the air flow is and there is still a few inches more above my helmet before it impacts my hand.

If someone tries this shield out I would certainly like to hear how you like it especially if you have used another type on this bike, but I'm not going to argue with someone to try it.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhedfred
I like the looks of the this one and was considering it based on that.
Really ??
This one ??

In addition to my earlier comments, I think it looks pretty strange.........but then mine looks big and bulky too.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
music man

do you see the big ass mirrors he has down low on the forks and the big ass box he has on the back, or the squeeze horn on his handlebars, or the little dome mirrors stuck to his mirrors, I think the last thing on his mind is what his bike looks like, which is perfectly fine if that is what you are into.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
alanmcorcoran

I'd be a little anxious about forgetting I was driving with the storage shed on the back and falling off or falling over attempting a mount or dismount. As it is, when I bungee something big to the back, I have to lift up my leg by my pant legs to get it over the seat.

On the other hand, I think it's very unlikely any one is going to taligate this guy.