Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

No, but it is true that you can almost always get them to throw in a free helmet. Make sure to ask.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
prof_stack

Noob from WA - Accident Report

How to begin?

I'm at home now after being in the ER of Harborview Hospital in Seattle for 6 hours. The driver of a Honda Civic failed to yield to me at a flashing red light. I had a flashing yellow light. I was in the middle lane of a one-way street and an SUV or pickup on my left must have blocked the view of the Civic driver.

I t-boned the Civic. I remember there suddenly being a car RIGHT THERE IN MY PATH. Then my egg got scrambled. The driver called my wife and apologized profusely. Apparently I gave him the phone number. Don't remember much. The policeman, at the hospital, said I was going 20-25MPH and that the Buell was in pretty good shape from his reckoning. The driver was cited for failure to yield. The medic who came with me in the emergency van rides a Suzuki GSXR600 and made sure my ballistics gear did not get cut off.

Six hours in the #1 trauma center in the NW and I was in good, albeit busy, hands there. Cat scan, x-rays, vitals, fluids, wait, wait, and more wait. Full moon did its usual craziness and the place was hopping with drowning victims, police-guarded patients, and medivac choppers coming in.

The full-faced helmet had a serious gash along the chin and a big bruise in the back where it contacted the ground. A half-helmet or open-faced one would have reset my teeth, I'm sure. The leather boots got a chunk out over the steel toe. The Joe Rocket ballistics so far look fine.

Anyway, my right side is very sore and will get sorer, I think. Being 56 years old might slow the healing compared to when I was 33! Tylenol and ibuprofin will be my friends for a couple of days.

But other than that things seem to be okay. Praise the Lord that I'm home and able to type this after 4 hours of sleep.

Still considering the GZ250 although the wife would prefer I stop riding, and, as incentive, get that $3k guitar I've been dreaming about.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
Eeyorebiker

That sucks.

I am really glad that you are still here with us. Kudos for wearing your gear! It would have been much, much worse without it.

Take it easy.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
birdmove

Sorry to hear of the accident Prof. Sounds like one of those that happened so fast, there wasn't anything you could have done. I'm 53 myself, and my healing is very slow. Its good you had your good riding gear on.

Take care, Jon in Puyallup.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I'm sorry that you get hurt. As said, this is a perfect oppotunity to tell some people why gear and full face helmets should be mandatory.

Be careful,
Jonathan

Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
Dirt_McGert

Dang, sorry to hear about that. Atleast you're still in one piece! Just today in the afternoon, I was driving down the highway and a car pulled out right in front of me from the right side, probably about 15-20 yards away. I was travelling 35-40mph, so I did have to "slam" on the brakes - chirped the back tire. I honked and looked at the car - full of kids probably 14-15 years old - they all had a concerned look on their face hehe. It was fairly close, but I knew I wouldn't collide with them. In your case though, you didin't have time to do anything since the car was right there, not much you could've done.

Anyways, hope you're healing well.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #17
prof_stack

I got the police report yesterday. Four witnesses were listed. Nice. The driver of the Civic was a 26-year old male carrying two 16-year old females. He is insured and so all expenses should be covered.

The description and image drawn on the report show that I hit the car and went over it and landed in the middle of the intersection. So I likely landed on my right side as that is where the soreness remains. I'll be seeing my doctor on Thursday. Hmm, I seem to recall him last telling me about the dangers of motorcycling. :roll:

Later today I will see the Buell and snap a few photos. The shop guy will confer with the Geico guy and determine the damages. It appears it will be fixable and not be totaled. We'll see. Part of me would like to have it totaled and make it quick and easy to get a GZ250.

But honestly I have to decide whether to continue riding (most likely) or say goodbye to a lifelong passion. I don't think I'm ready to grow up yet! :rawk:
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Best of luck with your decision. Just remember that there are risks involved with everything. Motorcycling is really no different than riding in a car or walking on a sidewalk. There is always the risk of an accident. But, with proper attire, training and a cool head while riding those risks are greatly reduced.

I'm glad you're alright.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 07-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
Badbob

Quote:
A half-helmet or open-faced one would have reset my teeth, I'm sure. The leather boots got a chunk out over the steel toe.
Full face helmet is the only way to go. One of the books I have has a diagram showing statistically where most of the head injuries occur. Most of them are in the area not covered by a 3/4 helmet. This and sliding on my face in the dirt many years ago keeps me in a full helmet no mater how hot it gets in there.

So I'm not the only one who wears steel toed boots. I started wearing them because i have one of the hard shifting GZ250s that on its best day will make my foot sore if I shift a lot. I got used to the steel and now prefer it. I wore some very soft hiking boots recently because my steel toed boots were wet. I'll wear them wet next time.

I'm glad to hear there were no major injuries. It sounds like your just going to be really sore for awhile. Been there done that and have much sympathy.

When you have had time to think it over would you mind discussing/analyzing what happened and any ways it could have been prevented or avoided? Maybe we can all learn something from this.