Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Sarris

Re: I don't have a motorcycle, YET!

Placebo effect. The GeeZer requires regular unleaded only.

Octane is a burn retarder used to keep high compression engines from detonation (ping).

:plus1: To Alan's comments. Premium in a GeeZer is a total waste of money.

MLGTIB, you probably had a bit of varnish in the carb that has since washed clean. Go back to regular.

:2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

If the bike sat for any length of time it probably would want to run weird for anyone. After a few tanks of any fresh gas and some riding it probably corrected itself. Just try the cheapest top tier gas and see what happens.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
dentheman

Easy Rider - The TU 250 is really my first choice, but apparently they were only imported for 1 year and my dealer can't get a new one. I could possibly find a used one but being new to motorcycles I don't want to risk getting one with a mechanical problem, so whatever I get, it will be new. To the rest of you - Thanks for the inputs. What I read here and elsewhere on the forum is giving me some good motorcycle knowledge. ADDED: I really appreciate that I can download the owner's manual, maintenance manual, etc. (even before joining!) I haven't found that great feature on other sites!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENTHEMAN
Easy Rider - The TU 250 is really my first choice, but apparently they were only imported for 1 year and my dealer can't get a new one. I could possibly find a used one but being new to motorcycles I don't want to risk getting one with a mechanical problem, so whatever I get, it will be new.
If there is more than one Zuki dealer in your area, I'd double check that "1 year" story; it sounds fishy to me. Probably really means that he doesn't want to spend any time getting one because his margin is too low.

As for the used thing, your logic is all backwards. A lightly used, late model vehicle (of any kind) is LESS likely to have a major problem than a new one......because somebody else has broken it in for you. They have also eaten the initial depreciation hit.....which can be substantial.

You need to be careful and ask the right questions (Has it been wrecked? Any major mechanical failures? Who was the last owner? Can I SEE the present title?) but a low mileage used bike is by FAR the best value.....money AND service wise.

Of course, if money is no object, then go for new every time. :whistle:
Old 04-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
burkbuilds

Welcome to the forum and good luck with whichever one of the mentioned bikes you decide on. Those are all good bikes and I haven't really heard a lot of bad things about any of them. I'm 6'1" and I haven't ridden on a V-star 250, but my daughter has a Rebel 250 and it looks and feels a lot smaller than my GZ did. I've ridden both and both are good bikes, the Honda may have a little bit more pep, but I like the GZ's simple design and easy maintenance better, and I think it looks a lot more like a full size cruiser than the Rebel does.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Easy Rider - The TU 250 is really my first choice, but apparently they were only imported for 1 year and my dealer can't get a new one. I could possibly find a used one but being new to motorcycles I don't want to risk getting one with a mechanical problem, so whatever I get, it will be new.
If there is more than one Zuki dealer in your area, I'd double check that "1 year" story; it sounds fishy to me. Probably really means that he doesn't want to spend any time getting one because his margin is too low.

As for the used thing, your logic is all backwards. A lightly used, late model vehicle (of any kind) is LESS likely to have a major problem than a new one......because somebody else has broken it in for you. They have also eaten the initial depreciation hit.....which can be substantial.

You need to be careful and ask the right questions (Has it been wrecked? Any major mechanical failures? Who was the last owner? Can I SEE the present title?) but a low mileage used bike is by FAR the best value.....money AND service wise.

Of course, if money is no object, then go for new every time. :whistle:
The TU also doesn't show up with the 2010 models on the Suzuki site, so I took the dealer's word for it. It will be some time before I purchase a motorcycle, so i will see what is available then.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
SuziQ07

Quote:
Hello, i just joined, though I have been lurking for a while. I have no experience with motorcycles so I am researching to find the one best suited for me. This site has already answered several questions I have had in my search for the best bike. Right now I am leaning toward the GZ 250, but also considering the v-star 250 and Rebel. I will be taking the MSF course in Sept. or Oct. You have a great site here (I have not found a similar v star 250 or Rebel site), and I hope to have some meaningful participation in the next few months; To help me decide!
I'm just a newbie myself but after a lot of research and studying I finally decided to purchase a 2007 used GZ250 about a month ago. I think the three bikes are all rather comparable and you'll find many reviews online that say so. I personally in the end decided that I liked the looks of the GZ better...bigger tank and fenders etc. The used Yamaha Virago I looked at had such a small tank. I also thought the GZ tailpipe looked a little more bad girl!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
Sarris

As I understand it from my dealer contact, Suzuki is so buried in unsold 2007, 2008, & 2009 models that they are only sending a few 2010 models to the states (shown on the website) and are limiting the production of 2010 models worldwide.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
As I understand it from my dealer contact, Suzuki is so buried in unsold 2007, 2008, & 2009 models that they are only sending a few 2010 models to the states (shown on the website) and are limiting the production of 2010 models worldwide.

I'm not sure I understand. Does this mean i could order a brand new LAST YEARS model through my dealer? Or even a 2008? Or is it just that dealers still have older bikes in stock?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #20
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris

I heard the same thing...Suzuki stopped production of it's 2010 models due to the bad economy??