Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83
I have witnesses
I'm a witness. I was with him when he got in the 90s.

My average is 65 mpg. My wife averages 85 mpg.

I think you might be a bit long legged for a GZ250 but you would really have to try it to find out. I have a 29 inch inseam and I raised my seat two inches to get comfortable.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
rayzuki

I am 5'11 and feel comfortable on the GZ but its really the only bike I have been on so I have nothing to compare against. I bought my GZ as a started to learn and get experience before moving to a bigger bike. I really enjoy the GZ and as of right now I don't plan of getting rid of it.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
I am 5'11 and feel comfortable on the GZ but its really the only bike I have been on so I have nothing to compare against. I bought my GZ as a started to learn and get experience before moving to a bigger bike. I really enjoy the GZ and as of right now I don't plan of getting rid of it.

Ditto on everything ray said.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #14
afflo

Alright, so, after a father's day browse through the bike shop (still waiting for my MSF course before I make a purchase), I don't think a GZ250 will work.

I tried sitting on the GZ, an Alphasports (Hyosung) Aquila 250, a Boulevard S40, and all were entirely too cramped for me. I felt like a circus bear on a tricycle. The salesman (another long-legged fellow) suggested I try the Shadow 600... barely acceptible, but not something I'd be happy with.

He then suggested trying a Ninja 250. I have had no interest in sportbikes or dual-sports, but sitting on the GZ250 was a completely different experience than I'd expected. I found myself able to comfortably fold my legs, and the position is far less hunched-over than I'd expected. In fact, it just felt 'right'.

I was also surprised at the standard equipment for the price level: a higher compression engine, 6 spd transmission (reportedly able to run well over interstate speeds), a small windscreen built into the fairing, fuel gauge, front and rear discs... overall, it seems like a better fit for me. All this, and the price is still under $4K. I refuse to take out a loan just to buy a motorcycle, so I'm keeping it within my cash splurging budget ($5500, but ideally under $4k for the bike, leaving breathing room for the gear). At the same time, after bad experiences with cars that have been abused, I don't really want to buy a bike that has such strong appeal to the adrenaline junkie set... I see lots of abuse potential.

I still would like to buy a cruiser in the long run, but I think the Ninja will be better for me starting out, until I have the experience and confidence needed for a cruiser that is large enough for my frame. Or, I may decide that I like the sportbike after a few years on the Ninja.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I think the Ninja 250 is the best small displacement bike offered in the US. Hands down.

$5500 sounds like you are getting hosed, unless you are from Canada.

I used to have one and it has no problem handling 70-75mph+ forever.

Also, they have a prety big aftermarket following, if that's important to you.

Yeah, the best thing about the bike is that it isn't small. It's a natural fit and you don't end up hunching over like with other spoorbikes.
The new styling makes it look nice but the older model is more trusted.
The new gas gauge is crappy, like most motorcycle gas gauges and you no longer get a temp gauge, like with the older bikes.

-Jonathan

Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
afflo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I think the Ninja 250 is the best small displacement bike offered in the US. Hands down.

$5500 sounds like you are getting hosed, unless you are from Canada.

I used to have one and it has no problem handling 70-75mph+ forever.

Also, they have a prety big aftermarket following, if that's important to you.

Yeah, the best thing about the bike is that it isn't small. It's a natural fit and you don't end up hunching over like with other spoorbikes.
The new styling makes it look nice but the older model is more trusted.
The new gas gauge is crappy, like most motorcycle gas gauges and you no longer get a temp gauge, like with the older bikes.

-Jonathan
$5500 is not a quote I was given! :cool:

It's the cash sitting in my bank account that I have earmarked for "bike and bike stuff." Ideally, I'll stay far below that, even after buying safety gear... maybe keep some on hand in case I have to replace a fairing or mirror later!

I already have a car payment, as well as my wife. I'm not about to get another loan just for what is essentially a toy; Maybe I'll spend big enough after the car is paid off and buy something really nice, but for now, it's going to be a straight Mastercard Debit purchase.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
turbo chicken

Hiya...

forgive me for being laszy but it's been a few day's since my last log in... stick around good peoples here.

I love my GZ
Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a plan. If you decide to go with the Ninja you may want to check out

www.ninja250.net

This place is a great resource but the constant bickering and the continuous repetitive questions gets a little old.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by afflo
Alright, so, after a father's day browse through the bike shop (still waiting for my MSF course before I make a purchase), I don't think a GZ250 will work.
There ARE some situations where a "little" bike isn't the best choice for a first ride. It would appear that this is one of those cases.

DO NOT rush into anything.

Expand your search into the mid-range standards and cruisers......5-800 cc's.....or even the Zuki S/M 50's (800 cc).
For once, the sales-dude might have given you good advice!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
LilNinja77

Howdy from an 07 Ninja 250 owner who enjoys this board. As jonathan mentioned, if you're interested you should definitely check out ninja250.com. It is the best resource for motorcycle information I've found, and if you're like me and enjoy doing your own maintenance/work, pretty much everything you need is right there. On the negative though, the board is VERY cynical and sarcastic, almost excessively so. The admins/mods do not usually take kindly to people who think outside of their spectrum, but they are very experienced and full of knowledge. Honestly unless you just enjoy posting on forums I would just use the site as an information resource and skip the forum........just too much drama, it's like high-school all over again. With the influx of newbies who are attracted by the 08 models' new looks, there are a lot of people posting who have no clue. Expect to see the same newbie questions over and over and over and over.

The Ninja 250 and the GZ250 are both great bikes, but they are different for sure. You mentioned hearing that the Ninja could do interstate speeds.....yes, it does them just fine. With stock gearing I can cruise extended at highway (55-70) with no issues at anywhere from 7.5 to 10k rpm. Hit the huge super-slab and just twist the throttle more, cruise at 70-80 with higher rpms......depending on many factors the bike tops out somewhere between 100-115 depending on who you ask. Fastest I've taken mine was up to 90 and then I stopped, bike still felt like it had more to give. She runs smooth from 1.5 all the way up to 13k, shifting is smooth and precise, and I like the Kawaski postive neutral finder.

The MPG is worse on the Ninja though, don't believe those 70 mpg numbers you see. Personally I average anywhere between 50-60, depending on several factors (weather conditions, luggage, road conditions); meaning I usually go about 230-250 miles before switching to reserve. I imagine if I rode it very conservatively (say, like a cruiser) I could get the claimed 70 mpg, but I just don't see the point. The new generation Ninja 250 reportedly gets worse gas mileage than the previous (classic) generation.

The stock suspension on the classic model leaves a bit to be desired, it's quite soft. The front and rear disks are nice, though you don't want to slam on the rear too hard. The classic model is very utilitarian, luggage options are pretty much only limited by your imagination. The liquid cooling is very nice, I've sat in line with BMW's and Ducati's and watched them start to steam and smoke while my little Ninja was just chilling. The suspension and brakes on the updated 08 model are reportedly better, especially the suspension. Seating position (like you commented) is very natural and upright. You can tuck over the tank if you want, but you don't have to. Corbin offers aftermarket options.

I much prefer the classic ninja over the 08, for a number of reasons, but they are both good bikes. The GZ likewise, is also a very nice bike . Obiously you're already at the right place to find info. on it. When I was looking for a bike, I had no real interest in sportbikes either, and was more than likely going to get a GZ. But once I sat on the Ninja I never looked back. Now, after more experience and knowledge, I much prefer sportbikes (the bikes, not the riders) over cruisers. Not for their speed, but for their precision. I still want a GZ though, just cause I like them. Ninja or GZ, either way you'll end up on a great bike. Take the MSF course and try out a GZ, it's what made me start loving them. The Ninja is a little harder to find at MSF locations, a complete newbie is much more likely to drop the Ninja as it is a little less forgiving.

Sorry for the very long post, I just like talking about motorcycles If you have any questions about the Ninja I'll try my best to answer them, GZ specific questions I'm not as good at :blush:
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~