Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Lilninja is right about only using the Ninja forum as an information tool. One visit and you will see that simple questions are immediately shot down by know-it-all's and people who want to be in the know-it-all club.

The FAQ on that site is very detailed and has lots of the information and how-to's. The articles carry over to all motorcycles. It's not just realted to the Ninja.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
LilNinja77

Don't get me wrong, I love the ninja250.com site and forum, it's just a different kind of forum that takes a little getting used to. Many people get driven off by the sarcasm and joking around, because they just don't understand where it's coming from. I've been a member for a little less than a year, so I consider myself a regular, but by no means a old-timer. The problem is the massive amount of people who post questions and expect to be spoon fed answers, when all they had to do was use the search bar or the FAQ and 90% of the time the answer is right there....no fuss, no muss. Long time users of the board get tired of it and start to get ugly sometimes. The poster then takes offense and it's just a yelling match. That or they get branded as a troll and get made fun of.

Or, if you suggest doing something that isn't part of the forums' group mentality, you normally take a fair amount of ribbing. If you're in to lots of aesthetic modifications that add nothing to the actual riding of the bike, you'll likely be joked on a little. If you ride without proper gear, expect a LOT of negative feedback. If you're in to riding unsafely on the street, say hello to the flames. The admins/mods seem to go through cycles of being very lenient and then being very harsh, but by and large they seem to do an excellent job IMO. It's worth noting that the forum over there is WAAAAAY more active than this one, so I'm sure being one of the power-figures is a much more difficult job.

It's one of those places that will let you know if you've "stepped over the line", so take it for what it's worth. It's got negatives and positives, just like anything else in life. I get a big kick out of the whole experience, but it's not for everyone.....takes a tough skin sometimes.

Keep us posted about your bike-choice Afflo!
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #23
afflo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
Don't get me wrong, I love the ninja250.com site and forum, it's just a different kind of forum that takes a little getting used to. Many people get driven off by the sarcasm and joking around, because they just don't understand where it's coming from. I've been a member for a little less than a year, so I consider myself a regular, but by no means a old-timer. The problem is the massive amount of people who post questions and expect to be spoon fed answers, when all they had to do was use the search bar or the FAQ and 90% of the time the answer is right there....no fuss, no muss. Long time users of the board get tired of it and start to get ugly sometimes. The poster then takes offense and it's just a yelling match. That or they get branded as a troll and get made fun of.

Or, if you suggest doing something that isn't part of the forums' group mentality, you normally take a fair amount of ribbing. If you're in to lots of aesthetic modifications that add nothing to the actual riding of the bike, you'll likely be joked on a little. If you ride without proper gear, expect a LOT of negative feedback. If you're in to riding unsafely on the street, say hello to the flames. The admins/mods seem to go through cycles of being very lenient and then being very harsh, but by and large they seem to do an excellent job IMO. It's worth noting that the forum over there is WAAAAAY more active than this one, so I'm sure being one of the power-figures is a much more difficult job.

It's one of those places that will let you know if you've "stepped over the line", so take it for what it's worth. It's got negatives and positives, just like anything else in life. I get a big kick out of the whole experience, but it's not for everyone.....takes a tough skin sometimes.

Keep us posted about your bike-choice Afflo!
Ride safe
Thanks! The FAQ there is phenomenal!!!

By the way, I had to LOL at your sig.

Substitute "large," and you could be talking about any number of things!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
LilNinja77

Quote:
Pardon? I think I missed something.
Ride safe

Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
afflo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
Quote:
Pardon? I think I missed something.
Ride safe
if its cheap and reliable, its not fast
if its cheap and fast, its not reliable
if its fast and reliable, its not cheap

Bikes, cars, etc.

Now consider TV's, computer monitors, microwaves, etc.

if its cheap and reliable, its not large
if its cheap and large, its not reliable
if its large and reliable, its not cheap

Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #26
LilNinja77

Ahh, the American dream of living large and "in charge" :roll: .....doubt I'll ever understand that one.
Ride safe

Old 06-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #27
afflo

So, a brief update on what's been up with me:

I did my MSF course last weekend, and am waiting on my new license to be mailed to me.

The only part of it that gave me any trouble was the U-turn box. As I made the left U-ee, I unintentionally rolled on the throttle. Instead of easing on the clutch, I yanked the handbrake. Crunch! It was a great lesson on why not to use the front brake while turning! I landed on my left knee, with the bike on top of my left foot. I slightly skinned knee, but not enough to slow me down. I later realized that the cheap Target-brand boots I'd purchased didn't hold up well after a parking-lot splat. My RiderCoach helped me up, I got back on the bike, and he directed me back into the box. I'm glad it happened on their bike!

In the end, I was only marked off on four points out of twenty: 3 for putting a foot down momentarily in the U-turn, and another for being slightly slow in the cornering. We could miss up to 20, and I did better than some folks who'd ridden for years, perhaps because I didn't have any bad habits to distract me.

It did make me reconsider the size I want. I did the whole thing on a Yamaha Virago 250. Surprisingly, given my height, I didn't feel cramped at all. Different ergonomics for every individual I guess. I'm glad too, because I really liked the way this small cruiser sat one I got on it. I guess in my mind, I see myself on a cruiser far more clearly than on a plastic covered sport-bike. It also felt far different actually riding it than it did sitting in a showroom. I'm going to give the GZ250 and S40 another good sitting at well, to see how I would like them with a my new perspective. There's a bike shop less than 5 calm residential miles away... a month ago, they had a new GZ250 and a new V-Star (Virago) 250 sitting side by side. The day I have license in hand, I'll be back in there checking them out.

One thing that certainly changed is my mental video of my first day once I get it. Instead of the backroads, all afternoon ride, I see myself at an empty parking lot, practicing emergency stops, swerves, quick starts after stops, etc., until the muscle memory makes it second nature.

I'm also going to make sure I have good gear! Jeans proved less than protective (still a big bruise on my knee a week later!), and the boots all out sucked! I'll also invest in comfortable gloves, as mine gave me a few blisters on my left hand from modulating the clutch.

My friends keep warning me "DON"T GET A 250!" but I'm not TOO concerned about it. Especially the one who is somewhere around 400 lbs (I think it might move for me more easily than him!). I'm looking primarily for something to ride for the next 1.5 - 2 years, until I move cross country, at which point I can buy a bigger bike if I want, with lots of skill under my belt...

or, if gas prices go absolutely bonkers, I'll have a dependable alternative to my 20 mpg SUV.

(BTW, Also been hanging around on BeginnerBikers.org, under the same username)
Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #28
Moedad

afflo, it sounds like you're only a month behind me on the road to bikerhood. Practice is good, 250s are good, GZs are good.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #29
LilNinja77

Afflo, good to hear back from you on your situation. Definitely get whatever type of bike you will feel the most comfortable on, no point in buying a motorcycle if it doesn't fit you well. As you seem to have found out, yes, riding gear is a very important aspect of riding. It can make all the difference in both comfort and protection. Take your time in choosing gear, because just like choosing the motorcycle, there isn't a point in wearing it if it doesn't fit properly. Don't be cheap either, it's far better to spend your money on riding gear than hospital bills if you happen to take a fall. Buy the best and highest quality you can afford..........my favorite way of explaining it to my friends (who make fun of me for always riding ATGATT) is this:

Imagine a 350 lb. man walks up to you and holds you down on the ground, while taking a belt sander to your body..........where is that belt sander going to hurt? Everywhere that beltsander might hurt, well that's somewhere that you need good quality riding gear. I dunno about you but I'd much rather be covered in leather than roadrash, better to sweat than to bleed.

If you want to buy your gear online (which can be both a good and a bad thing), check out Newenough.com....they have good prices, great customer service, and often have really great closeout deals on quality riding gear. Be safe and keep having fun!
Ride safe

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 AM   #30
Badbob

Road rash sucks. Especially the part where they scrub out the dirt with a brush. Been there.

ATGATT thats the name of my game. Although I will admit I didn't start out that way.