Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 11-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Footwear

Guys,

When I started out I bought a pair of caterpillar non-slip up-over-the-ankle work boots from boot barn with steel toes. I had a little difficulty at first tucking the gigantic toe box under the shifter, but after a hundred miles or so I got used to it. However, I am lazy and impulsive, and it took way too much time to get the boots on and off - they had laces up the yin-yang. So I bought a pair of these:

http://www.alpinestars.com/Ridge_Waterp ... 44207.html

These go one relatively easy. They are a bit soft above the toe box and I think I bought them one size too large (they were ordered from a Suzuki store non-returnable. The first pair I bought was too small, but I talked the guy into sending them back, and I didn't have the balls to do it twice. The soft toe box sometimes leads me to slip gears or go from first to neutral, but that's mostly correctable if I focus.

The thing is, they are a bit much, once I reach my destination. Can anybody recommend a good, safe, riding shoe, that is easy on/off and also okay to walk around in once you arrive where you are going? Money is no object.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Footwear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
The thing is, they are a bit much, once I reach my destination. Can anybody recommend a good, safe, riding shoe, that is easy on/off and also okay to walk around in once you arrive where you are going? Money is no object.
Visit a boot store........a western store might do.
Look at "light duty" work boots without the steel toe or a "cowboys" dress Wellington pull-ons.
Might have to search a while for ones with non-slip soles. (This is VERY important!)

The brand name on mine is ARIAT.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Boots a little sloopy ?? I would try to tighten them up with an insole/odor eater whatever. Might make a world of difference. Also the shifter might need a slight adjustment to go with the boots. I searched for 2 years to get a decent riding boot and lucked out last year in Tenn. during a vacation. Found some AlpineStar Roam boots that were old stock for $100. Up here in the GWN they were $270 + tax and still the wrong size. Anyway, wore them for 2 days before swinging a leg over a rented bike and they were perfect after adjusting the shifter.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

The Ridges have an insole. The boots actually fit pretty good except around the upper ankle where they're a bit big. I have short, fat feet, so I'm used to some compromises on specialty shoes.

I think I'll probably stick with the Ridge's for now. They're just a bit clunky for just walking around. I'm a super lazy person - my year round default footwear is Birkenstocks believe it or not. A couple of times, being too tired to switch back to the riding boots, I cheated and just rode home from racquetball with racquetball shoes. I'm definitely getting a little too comfortable (cocky) on the ole GZ.

(I once owned 9 pairs of New Balance 1220 9 1/2 4E's - one of the few running shoes that fit my feet perfectly. I bought them back in 2004 when I was running marathons. I had three when they stopped making them. Running shoes are only good for about 300 miles or so. You run a lot to train for a marathon and rotating them lets 'em dry out and reduces compression and wear. I bought up the remaining pairs I could find locally, and then online. 4 years later, I still have 5 of them left. I recently took the last new pair out of the box...)

Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
alantf

Easy Rider mentions non slip soles as something you must have on riding boots. Quite so! but you've no need to buy the boots with non slip soles. Like I said in another post, I took my cowboy boots to the local shoe repairer, & for not much money he fitted rubber non slip soles over the slippy leather. Problem solved!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
for not much money he fitted rubber non slip soles over the slippy leather. Problem solved!
Good reminder. I did that too a couple of pairs back.
In general, those that already have nice thick rubber soles have nice thick uppers too; those with leather soles, not so much.
Your soles may vary !! :biggrin:
Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I really like my Doc Marten boots. They're the most comfortable boots I've ever owned, and they are VERY durable while still being VERY flexible.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
alantf

Re the cowboy boots thatI had the non slip soles fitted to, they are "Loblan", & the uppers are nice & thick so that I don't burn my ankles on the engine.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Prior to getting my real riding boots last year I always wore Western Style work boots and thought they were great. After my first ride with the AlpineStars the others went in the garbage. The protection factor and overall comfort were and still are just fantastic. Coupled with Merino wool socks my feet have never been happier.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13

I manage a shoe store, and I bought 2 pairs of dr marten wellington boots. Osha certified, oil fat alkali acid and gas resistant soles with a lifetime warrany. Has a steel toe and side pads. Wrecked once on my old xj, car behind ran my leg over. Had a bruised ankle and some scuffed leather, plus some stains in me pants. Best $120 I ever spent.