Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 11-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #21
Easy Rider

Re: Winter Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
His pictures and Easy's comments were what I based my decision to try on one on. The manufacturer is National Cycle.
Of all that I have seen, I still like it the best.
Someday maybe I'll get to ride a bike that has one......to see if I'm right or not.

IF, however, you want something even BIGGER with even BETTER coverage, consider the one I have. :roll: Adjusting it is a pain in the butt though.

Both probably can be obtained through your local dealer and after you add in shipping, the price difference might not be that much. I like to help keep my local dealer in business!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
roncg41677

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Those gloves are shit. Bulky and give absolutely no feeling in the hands. Plus they just don't keep your hands warm. You would be better off with the socks.
Really? Is there a cheap glove that does a good job at keeping your hands warm while riding?
~ Matthew 6:33 ~
Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncg41677
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Those gloves are shit. Bulky and give absolutely no feeling in the hands. Plus they just don't keep your hands warm. You would be better off with the socks.
Really? Is there a cheap glove that does a good job at keeping your hands warm while riding?
I think one of two things is happening here:

Patrick has some actual experience with those EXACT gloves and, if that is the case, his opinion gets a large weight.
OR.....
Patrick is over generalizing and actually knows NOTHING about those exact gloves, in which case.......well, you know! :roll:

Previously I think he said that "fat" gloves aren't good gloves as far as warmth goes but I really can't buy that because it depends on what MAKES them fat and how they are put together. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of someone in extreme cold (-40F) that had on THIN gloves. :poked: :biggrin:

Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #24
greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran

IF, however, you want something even BIGGER with even BETTER coverage, consider the one I have. :roll: Adjusting it is a pain in the butt though.
uhhhh re read this. Just exactly WHAT are you talking about?????

Dirty minded greenhorn

ps. I am oooooooooooooooooold & female. :lol: :lol: and love my GZ :rawk: :rawk:
Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #25
alanmcorcoran

Easy wrote that. Not me.

Backing... away... slowly....

Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Dirty minded greenhorn
:crackup :haha2:

Good catch. Couldn't have done that much better if I had tried! :whistle:

And just for the record, it is TRUE! :cool:
Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Lynda has some First Gear insulated gloves. Leather, 40 gram Thinsulate and almost a gauntlet type of glove. Keeping the wrist warm is an absolute must when riding. My cool weather gloves are Red Wing gauntlets with thinsulate. Never knew Red Wing made gloves until I was snooping around a dealer looking for some relief from cold wet weather on my first long distance ride. Howerver you cut it, you must block the wind on your hands and wrists. A larger windshield seems to be the way to go. Hand guards still allow some wind at your finger tips, we both notice that. There is only one perfect solution and it involves doors and a roof.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #28
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Patrick is over generalizing and actually knows NOTHING about those exact gloves, in which case.......well, you know! :roll:
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncg41677

Quote:
Patrick has some actual experience with those EXACT gloves and, if that is the case, his opinion gets a large weight.
You're halfway right. I do not own the Xelement gloves, but instead have a lot of experience with very similar gloves to them (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...of-Gloves.aspx) made by Teknic. I tried those Xelement gloves on at the same time I bought my Xelement padded jeans, which are alright. The gloves are inside seamed, meaning the burr of the cloth and the stitching is on the inside. It generally rubs your fingers raw in certain places while letting tiny fragments of cold air coming into them at every seam. The inside seam keeps them from molding down to the controls right, so you're actively forcing your fingers in a position that the glove is fighting. Over time, the glove will win.

I have the Teknic Thunders and have a few of the same problems. They use an artificial packer-lining in the gloves that is not water breathable and doesn't wick away moisture. which means cold. The best thing I can think of for cheap, is to jump on ebay/craigslist or your local bike shop and look for deals. The A*s are great gloves for winter, but the stuff that really works for you in this situation is police duty street gloves with the 4 oz of powdered lead in the knuckles.
they are warm to below 0f and have been tested at well into the -20s. The intention is not to just trash the gloves you're looking at, but instead, let you know that $19 is only $19 and no matter the country or company, most all of the $19 gloves will be stacked with the same old stuff that doesn't wick moisture, keep dry and warm.

Spend a bit more (it doesn't have to be a LOT more) just like $20 more and you can get some really decent Alpinestars SP-3 for $39 or some Fieldshear Rangers

Quote:
Previously I think he said that "fat" gloves aren't good gloves as far as warmth goes but I really can't buy that because it depends on what MAKES them fat and how they are put together. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of someone in extreme cold (-40F) that had on THIN gloves. :poked: :biggrin:
To be fair, most fat gloves are made from a wool or synthetic lining that is supposed to keep moisture off of your skin, but the antiwet coating on the outside keeps it in no matter. So your hands keep sweating and still freezing.

It was 43F here today and I rode in mesh gloves and my leather jacket. Any colder and I'll put on my all-leather gauntlet with a glove thermal liner.