Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
Rookie Rider

carberator ??

Ok so a few months ago i bought a gas tank from someone on this forum. A nice blue tank that i stripped to bare metal and sanded, primered and repainted to match my red bike. During this time i took carb off and jets out to clean. Float off too. Put it all back together to what manual says with float hieght and all. Have a new petcock also that came with the tank, no filter on it, just the 2 long ones that go in the tank itself.Filled with some gas yesterday and it did start but when i give it throttle it sounds like its choking for gas, and stalls when i give it throttle and some white smoke comes out the muffler also a bit. Cant get it to move while in first either. Im gonna take the carb off again and see whats up. Oh, i also did the needle mod and changed the position of the little C-clip. Any ideas from the experienced folks out here. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: carberator ??

This bike has been sitting for the months unused, right?

The smoke was white and not like a blueish color? White is just condensation burning off. It's water vapor and some weak carbon deposits. So no cause for alarm there. The internals have been sitting unlubricated though and it can take for time for the motor to wake itself up.

When doing your carb adjustments and rebuild, did you make sure that the center diaphragm was not pinched under the black top cover, where the needle and slide are? That's a common rebuild mistake. See if runs better on PRI....
Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Rookie Rider

Re: carberator ??

Thanks man. Tried it on prime and was the same. Im % 99 sure the fragile diaphram is sitting properly, I was careful doing this.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Rookie Rider

Ok, might as well pickup where I left off. Bike is still the same as I said in the above post. I installed a choke also. Im gonna buy a new battery , charge it and take the carb off and check that diaphram and will let you know if I can get her started. I kind of let the bike sit cause I have the sportster plus im a douche for doing that.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider View Post
I kind of let the bike sit cause I have the sportster plus im a douche for doing that.

Hahahaha. Man, it's good to have you back.

Dig in, clean it up, let us know where you stand and we will go from there.
It's not going to be hard to get her running again.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Rookie Rider

Well I opened the carb again and slowly lifted the top off so the little spring dont go flying, (I remembered that part), but the little spring was on the middle of the big spring. Diaphram looked like it was seated nicely. I bought a new battery, the guy explained how to pour the liquid into it. As he demonstrated I asked, "will I need to charge it before I put it on the bike"? lol. He said noooooo nooooooooo thats not necessary. I told him I will anyway, he said it will be full in 10 min. I plugged it in and it charged till it reached fill charge, took 3 hrs. I'm leaving it on the charger over night. Not sure if I'm going to flush the tank just yet with fresh gas cause I'm going to Florida Saturday night and figured id do all that when I'm back. So until then, lol.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
5th_bike

Quote:
He said noooooo nooooooooo thats not necessary.
Ha ha you know better

Quote:
I'm leaving it on the charger over night.
Unless your charger is a battery tender, don't leave it overnight, it could overcharge, which will also kill a battery.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Rookie Rider

Yes, its on a battery tender, I did want to say that, haha, thanks.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Middle spring and big spring? Under the diaphragm lid there should be only 1 spring, about the diameter of your ring or pinkie finger. If this weird thing is the reason your bike has been sitting this whole time I'm going to wear a dress for 3 months and have everyone call me Nancy.

Glad to hear the diaphragm is in good shape. Try and keep it that way. If you leave it off for a little while, shoot some WD40 on it and then wipe it off to keep it somewhat moisturized and supple.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Rookie Rider

Haha, nah, it sat this long cause Ive been riding the sportster. Till my friend crashed into me last month, ��