Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #21
LilNinja77

FWIW, I'm the most heat sensitive person I've ever known. It's a very common thing for me to be sweating from heat, while everyone else in the room is complaining that it's too cold. Conversely, I've been known to be running aorund in a t-shirt and shorts while it's snowing outside. That doesn't keep me from ATGATT though, I know what heat exhaustion feels like and I know what just being hot feels like....there's a difference. It's been said before, better sweat than blood.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

For those of you interested. New Enough. Com now has Technic Warrior denim jeans on sale. Far better than regular jeans. Take a look.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #23
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
FWIW, I'm the most heat sensitive person I've ever known. It's a very common thing for me to be sweating from heat, while everyone else in the room is complaining that it's too cold. Conversely, I've been known to be running aorund in a t-shirt and shorts while it's snowing outside. That doesn't keep me from ATGATT though, I know what heat exhaustion feels like and I know what just being hot feels like....there's a difference. It's been said before, better sweat than blood.
Ride safe
Sounds like me. I start to sweat around 68 degrees. I need to move to a cooler place.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #24
Jer

What does "ATGATT" mean?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #25
Sarris

ATGATT

All The Gear, All The Time

It's an MSF thing. I don't do it. Too damn hot for me.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #26
Jer

Cool. Thanks.

I'm struggling with this.

I don't want to be uncomfortable either. But I suppose being injured is far more uncomfortable than being a bit warm on the way to and from my destination.

I'm new to all this. Havent even gotten my license yet. Getting my plates tomorrow. So far just practicing turning and stopping in the street in front of the house. All 0-20 mph stuff. I have my helmet. Got some rugged boots. Wearing jeans.

When I decided to buy the bike I figures helmet, jeans, gloves, boots would be enough. Since I'll be commuting at 0-45 mph all the time.

But the more I read the more I'm uneasy about that. I suppose thats a good thing!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #27
alanmcorcoran

Two cents...

Jer,

I'm a noob too. Only other "dangerous" thing I do is skiing, and, from what I can tell, skiing is picking daisies compared to motorcyclng.

I'm in Southern California. I think Florida is hotter than us (cause of the humidity) but, trust me, it's frigging hot here: 90+ inland most of the summer.

I have a full helmet, reinforced gloves, an icon jacket with plastic body armor and steel toed boots. The jacket and the helmet have venting and, as long as I'm going, I don't get that hot (I tolerate heat relatively well.) I do start to fry sitting at lights. I don't zip the jacket all the way up until I get out of town.

I work about 4 miles from my house, a relatively tame route, all 45mph or less. So I wear jeans to work. But when I am going out to "practice" in the canyons, I wear medium weight kevlar padded pants with armor in the knees (and hips and shins too, I think.) Jeans are better than gym shorts, but from what I've read, not much better.

I don't know if any of this stuff is gonna save me if I hit a car or a guardrail, but I think it may cut down my skin loss considerably if I slide out in a turn. Even if it doesn't keep me from breaking my neck or legs, I feel more confident (less anxious) with it on, so that alone motivates me to wear it. Plus, I gotta admit, I take a certain perverse pleasure in heading down Harley lane looking like the biggest pussy on wheels. That's right MF'ers, I'm on a 250 going 50 miles an hour in the slow lane and fully armored. Later on, I may even sit down to pee! Look, I just used my turn signal!

I also take guidance from the xcrossers and xgamers. These guys can outride me with their pinkies and they all wear full on gear.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #28
Jer

Quote:
Plus, I gotta admit, I take a certain perverse pleasure in heading down Harley lane looking like the biggest pussy on wheels. That's right MF'ers, I'm on a 250 going 50 miles an hour in the slow lane and fully armored. Later on, I may even sit down to pee! Look, I just used my turn signal!
I'm with ya there man.

Let em laugh. Let em shake their heads. F-em!!!!! When they are laid up in traction at the hospital, we'll be hitting on their ladies!!!!!!! \m/ \m/
Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #29
Jer

I went and tried on ther Joe Rocket XL Phoenix 5.0 at the local dealer tonight.

Great fit! Nice Jacket!

$169 firm.

Looks like $144 at the online stores. I have a couple of pending questions for some eBay buyers........
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #30
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
$169 firm.

Looks like $144 at the online stores.
Watch out for shipping charges. They're probably not going to make up the $25 difference, but the overall savings may be less than you think.