Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Graydog

Get off the bike!

Was going to run some errands on the little thumper today. Within a few blocks of the house I knew I didn’t need to be on the bike.

I’ve intended to ask this for a long time now. Anyone else have these “get off the bike days”?

Here are what mine are like.

1. Things just don’t feel right (very general…but enough said. I think everyone here has had that feeling.).
2. “Stop first then turn situations” are done as if I have only been riding for 6 months. Even though the speed is slow I have to make corrections during the turn. ie. The turn is not smooth natural feeling.
3. Curves. Uncomfortable feeling as if I’m in my first year of riding. Readjustments in speed and lean made during the curve that I don’t normally do on THAT curve or any other.
4. Stops. I have to think about it. My “feet on pavement” pattern is different from normal. Doesn’t feel right. Tend to use the hand brake more than usual at last second. May even twist front wheel and lean forward to rebalance bike.
5. “Long run”. During long runs between stops I think something is wrong with the way the bike feels. I tend to try to find things wrong with the bike.

Now in my case this could just be Alzheimer’s disease. (Or for those of you older than me “old timer’s disease.) But actually it has been present for me since I was in my 40s.

Does any one else experience this? Do you listen to “the inner voice”?

I have blamed this on inner ear infections, sinus infections, etc. But in reality when I have these medical conditions I stay off the bike anyway.

I am talking about days when you feel great. Yet nothing goes right on the bike and you know you should get off the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Get off the bike!

With the exception of the "days when you feel great" part, I recognize these symptoms. I haven't had them too much on the bike yet, but I have had them doing other activities that require focus, concentration and some coordination (skiing, playing the piano, racquetball, lifting weights.)

For example, one day I just could not get 185 pounds back up into the rack. I'd been lifting that much (6 reps) and more for a year, but, for whatever reason, I just didn't have anything. Had to dump the weights off. Ended up lowering my whole routine since then cause you don't know when it will strike. There are days I just get up and walk away from the piano cause I just don't have it and I'm not only wasting time, but practicing (learning) bad habits. There are days on the mountains where I can ski anything at full tilt and others where I am afraid to get off the lift.

I chalk it up a little to age and a little to a natural waxing and waning of one's abilities. It's sort of the opposite of being in the zone. When I was training for marathons, there were days I could run nine minute miles (fast for me, slow by most standards) for 15 miles. On other days, I struggled just to get through 8 miles at any speed. Over time, I've learned to do less and spend more time resting and recovering.

I ride the bike almost every day, and, yes, there are days I probably shouldn't be on it. On those days, I just lower my envelope of operation and raise my level of consciousness. In truth, for my commute, you don't need to be very adept to get through it. It's very short and very easy.

I have had whole days (and weeks) where I couldn't do anything right: stub my toe, hit my head, miss a meeting, can't remember my phone number, etc. I expect these will come more frequently in the future.

McCain fans, take note! (I am "only" 50.)
Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
music man

I have wierd days sort of like that, mine is mainly riding highway speeds. Some days I will ride down the highway and will be just as comfortable as I am in a car, then there will be those days where I just can't shake this kind of nervousness that can only be compared to the first time I got up to highway speed on the GZ, I just feel like I am holding on for dear life the whole time I am riding, Sometimes I listen to this feeling and not ride or go back to the house(if I can), other times I just force myself to ride through it(not really such a good idea IMO) but I sometimes do it anyways. I have yet to figure out where this feeling comes from, but it is very wierd.

Like Graydog said, it is just this "something doesn't feel right" feeling, that I just can't shake for that whole day, then the next day everything will be back to normal.

[sidenote] I live out in the country, so any ride I take requires me to ride 8-10 miles at highway speed, which makes this problem all the more serious.

Later

Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I had the same feelings the first year of owning my Shadow (after owning the GZ). I had 'weird' days that i just did not feel like i should be on the bike. Funny you bring it up because i totally forgot about it. There were a few days i just felt like 'wtf am i doing ... i know how to ride a dam bike' lol. Those 'off' days ... yep.

I havent had them since. I cant recall a day in the past year that ive had that problem. I guess it just wears off.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydog
I’ve intended to ask this for a long time now. Anyone else have these “get off the bike days”?
Yes. Like you said, for whatever reason, there are days when you feel like crap and KNOW that you shouldn't be on the bike. That's one thing.

The "other" thing is really pretty strange.....for me, at least. An otherwise normal day when I feel fine and nothing usual has happened.......until I get on the bike and it's almost like I have NEVER ridden before; kinda seems like the "bike" cells in the brain aren't firing right. I park the bike and take the car.

This has happened to me once or twice a riding season for a LONG time.....maybe 15 years. That would mean that it started about 45.....or maybe that's just the first time I remember it.
Now I am in the habit of taking a 3/4 mile "test" run right at the beginning, including a sharp turn-around and 3/4 mile back. If things don't feel right, it goes back in the garage because in the past I have tried to "ride through it" and it just doesn't seem to work.

Oddly enough, those incidents don't seem to be getting any more frequent, at least for me. I've only had one this year, early in the season. I did stop smoking about a year ago, tobacco, that is. :cool:

Old 10-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Sarris

Everyone has an off day every now and then. When you ride daily it's bound to affect your riding. There are some days you should not be on a bike (and probably should have stayed in bed). Thank god I don't get them very often because those are the days when I could commit a first degree whoop-shit.

:whistle: :skull: :whistle:
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Interesting topic and one that should concern all riders. I too have had "OFF" days which are pretty scary when you think of all the bad things that can happen. Too much sleep, not enough sleep, medical condition, just a general feeling of not enough awareness and coordination today. I stayed off the bike one day b/c the air didn't smell right. Good thing too b/c the cage was a challenge that day.
Might even be a day off for the Angel who flies along side of me while riding. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
prof_stack

I think the "inner voice" is good to listen to, but don't stress over it too much if your "hearing" is not as good on some days.

14 months ago I was in a motorcycle accident that has heightened my perceptions on the road, and that includes deciding not to ride on days when "things" just don't feel right.

If you commute by motorcycle, maybe you need to take a weekend (or day off) ride to a not-too-crowded road you haven't been on for awhile. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy the ride.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
Badbob

I listen to my inner voice. After 26,000 miles on my GZ250 if something doesn't feel right something is wrong. So far, every time this has happened I found something. A bolt loose, the chain needing adjustment, or something not fastened.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Chris

This happens occasionally to me also. If I'm already out then I pull in somewhere for a cup of coffee. Seems like me and the bike both settle down a bit with a 15 minute break.
Who said they were 50? I can't even remember 50! I've got shoes older than you are. The 60's are the new 30's.

Chris, retired and active near Atlanta