Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_
Re: Full vs three quarter

Oh jeez those photos are on the internet?!?!?! I'm so ashamed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

[quote=music man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":3km8oeak
Back to the subject. Helmets and stuff. The type of helmet and whether you wear one at all is determined by the amount of risk you are willing to accept while riding. We both wear full face helmets, Lynda's is a modular, and both of us are comfy doing so. Injuries to the face occur 27 % of the time in bike related mishaps.
I agree with that assessment, and I wanted so bad to get a full face when I upgraded my helmet, but Like I said, I felt like giving up the protection of the chin guard part of a full face was better than giving up unrestricted vision.

I may regret that when I have an accident one of these days, but at least I will see it coming. :retard:[/quote:3km8oeak] 30 years ago full face helmets restricted your vision. Modern helmets will not restrict vision. The opening is much larger and the materials are better. You just have to acclimatize to the new hat and learn to swivel your head properly.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #23
dan_

Btw Dupo what's your girlfriend gunna say when she sees the image search "Transvestite bikers" on your internet history?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
music man

[/quote] 30 years ago full face helmets restricted your vision. Modern helmets will not restrict vision. The opening is much larger and the materials are better. You just have to acclimatize to the new hat and learn to swivel your head properly.[/quote]

I have tried on many Full-Face helmets, the only ones I found that I could see out of comfortably (for me anyways) were the 3-400 dollar helmets, and I just ain't gonna come off that much for a helmet, or should I say I can't come off that much for a helmet.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
30 years ago full face helmets restricted your vision. Modern helmets will not restrict vision. The opening is much larger and the materials are better. You just have to acclimatize to the new hat and learn to swivel your head properly.
Yeah, I don't feel the full restricts my vision any more than the 3/4. My main restriction is laziness and old age (its HARD to turn your head halfway around!) My main interest is:

1) Eliminating the eyeglass dance.
2) Finishing my coffee without using a crazy straw.

I realize these are pretty dumb reasons for risking my teeth, but so far, nobody has really taken me to task. One of my soccer buddies is a city motorcycle cop and he was very supportive of the 3/4. So I think I'm gonna go for it. I'll still wear the full one for anything further than the office (a seven mile cakewalk with 45 mph max speed.)

I think I will also look a little less dorky, but, the rest of me screams dork so loudly, that I don't think this will reduce the overall dork rating much.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #26
dan_

Do you ride down the road on your bike drinking coffee? Cause if you could get a picture maybe even a video this i wanna see.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, I got two cup holders on the Strat.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #28
dan_

Man. No offense Alan, but I have to look at this sorta like people that say "I love camping!" And then show up in a huge RV with air conditioner, microwave the works. I guess i've always viewed a motorcycle as the transportation version of "ruffing it" Why not just take the car if you can't do without coffee and donuts on the way to work? It cant possibly be safe either. Imagine this scenario if you will: Fresh starbucks. MMM yummy. You hit a pot hole. Spill fresh coffee all over your "member" swerve in agony. Side swipe the SUV next to you. Bye bye Alan. Oh all while wearing a 3/4 helmet.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
... but I have to look at this sorta like people that say "I love camping!" And then show up in a huge RV with air conditioner, microwave the works.
Camping can be fun. Burning stuff, wicked awesome gear, playing with knives and guns. It's the crappy food, sleeping in a tent and crapping outdoors that I don't care for. RV's are sort of fun. Like a big suitcase with a drivetrain and a bathroom attached. Downside? Lots of stuff that is both cheaply made and requires effing with (leveling the fridge, filling the water, emptying the toilet, raising the antenna, hooking up the cable, hooking up the juice, lowering the antenna, filling the gas tank, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
... Imagine this scenario if you will: Fresh starbucks. MMM yummy. You hit a pot hole. Spill fresh coffee all over your "member" swerve in agony. Side swipe the SUV next to you. Bye bye Alan. Oh all while wearing a 3/4 helmet.
There aren't actually any cup holders on the Strat. But I liked your scenario! "Mmmmmm......, donutssss!" An excellent way to go.

Also, if I hit an SUV with the Strat, it's buh-bye SUV. I think I scraped an Escalade off my windshield last week.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #30
dan_

Aight man as they say "When I die may I be covered in burning gasoline and scattered chrome!" :roll: